Time flies when you are a senior athlete

“I can’t wait to graduate high school!” That statement is one that is familiar to every student ranging from grades K-12. As you reach your senior year, those students regret expressing that sentiment—especially the athletes.

For athletes, senior year is an emotional train wreck. Several seniors have claimed that senior year doesn’t hit until their sports season is over because it doesn’t feel real. Senior Matthew Holtgrieve commented on this subject saying, “For most senior athletes, this would be the last time they would be playing a sport ever. It is more emotional since its through the school.”

To acknowledge the hardships of being a senior on a sports team, schools host a senior night during a selected home game. Senior night is a way to remember the seniors and recognize them as people, their accomplishments as athletes, and their successes throughout their high school career. It is an extremely emotional and special night for the seniors and their families. Senior Averie Zaschak emphasized how emotional senior night was for her as she said, “It was a recognition of all five seniors on the team and how we have been together since day one. It was also super hard to swallow the pill that this was the last time my dad was coaching me.” No matter what school or sport you are in, senior night will get to your heart.

Seniors are more emotional during their senior seasons because it is more meaningful to them. The fact that it will be the final time that they will be able to play for their school, final time being able to play with teammates they grew up with, and most likely the final time they will probably play their sport, all of those realizations hit at the same time. Those melancholy feelings suffocate the seniors as they drown in sadness. They may not cry during the senior night ceremony, but they probably will shed a few tears afterward.

“I think about all of the memories I’ve had with my teammates, my past coaches that gave me a chance to play football, and also some of my brothers that I have played with forever. Senior night was a sad night for all the seniors, but losing the state championship was the worst experience for every senior,” senior Evan Lubben said.

As for the juniors on the team, this affects them too. Despite the grade difference, juniors feel the pain as they have to let go of someone that they will never play with again, and in some cases, never see again. Junior Avery Weslow grew up with senior Sarah Dunn. During this season’s FHC Volleyball Senior Night, it was an emotional event for both of them. “I’ve been with Sarah for three years, and volleyball is how our friendship started. During senior night, I realized that sometime this season was gonna be our last time stepping on the court together which made me really sad,” Avery said. Not knowing Avery’s feelings, Sarah stated, “Senior night felt like I was saying bye to my volleyball career, and Avery has been a huge part of it as we have played club and school volleyball together for the past six years. It made me feel really sad.” The close bond Sarah and Avery had is one of many senior-junior friendships. In the moment those relationships are wonderful; however, when there is a time to say goodbye, it is like leaving a part of you behind.

Another special situation is having siblings on a team. Senior Sammy Mielock has a younger brother [Benny Mielock] who is a freshman. They only have one season to play with each other. This affected Sammy as he stated, “I was in this situation once as my freshman year. My older brother [Johnny] was a senior. The roles are now flipped because I am a senior and Benny is a freshman which is crazy to me. Only having one year left is mind-blowing to me.” Even though they are siblings and will always be a part of each other’s lives, neither Sammy nor Benny are able to wrap their heads around the heartbreaking fact that this season is the last time they will be able to be on the ice together.

Overall, senior seasons are emotional because that’s when reality hits. Although seniors have it the worst, it affects the underclassmen, coaches, parents, and even teachers. So, if you catch yourself feeling burnt out and hoping that the school year will come to an end, try to imagine if you were a senior. Would you be wishing your high school career away?