FHC cross country is state finals bound for the second consecutive year

With high expectations set by the states-qualifying teams for FHC cross-country last year, nerves were tense at the starting line for regionals. Both sides of the team had performed incredibly in regular-season meets, and regional finals would have to be no different to qualify for the state championship meet once again. However, this strong FHC cross-country team battled the hills once again and earned themselves a spot on the state championship course. Head coach Ryan Schipper was incredibly happy with all the team’s hard work paying off to this point.

“It’s not easy to qualify for the state final meet,” Schipper said. “So to do it on both sides in back-to-back seasons feels amazing.”

The girls were the first to step up to the starting line, as they were projected to win the race. Besides the conference championships, this was going to be the biggest test of the season for the lady Rangers. Regionals meant facing consistently qualifying teams such as Kalamazoo Central and Portage Central. But the strong squad for FHC had no problem breezing past these teams to win the region. Junior Anna Sybenga placed tenth overall for the Rangers and was ecstatic about the team’s performance.

“I’m glad we won the region,” Sybenga said. “This is the first time in school history, and all five girls placed in the top twenty.”

Sybenga wasn’t the only standout athlete who helped the team to their victory. Senior Clara James-Heer placed second with a time of 18:40 and junior Clare Mathison placed ninth with a time of 19:42. Following Sybenga to cap off the scoring was senior Peyton Ludwig and junior Mia Stibitz, who placed sixteenth and twentieth. While the ladies can celebrate their regional victory, the test of state finals still stands to come. Sybenga believes that the team can work to improve at the state meet and honor teammates.

“We want to work better as a team and push each other into better spots during the race,” Sybenga said. “While also honoring the seniors because it’s their last year.”

The FHC girls cross-country team is without a doubt a very talented group that can achieve a great placement at state finals. The girls have improved their times all season and now look to do the same on the state’s largest stage.

Racing up next was the FHC boys cross country team, who were projected to qualify for the state meet by a slim margin. The guys, like the ladies, had to face powerhouse teams such as Kalamazoo Central and Portage Central; a battle of the central schools. While the boys didn’t quite dominate the race like the girls, they were able to place three runners in the top twenty for a second-place finish. Junior Jacob Sanford was glad to qualify for states but believed there was more that could have been done.

“I think the team did well,” Sanford said. “Our goal was to win the region, but qualifying for states was the baseline of what we needed to do and we accomplished that.”

Sanford placed fifth for the team and twenty-fourth overall, topping off the team scoring for a total of 89 points. Freshman Ben Romero placed fifth overall with a time of 16:12 and was followed by junior Sawyer McCarthy and senior Parker Ludwig who placed twentieth and twenty-third overall. While a second-place finish doesn’t win the region, it is nothing to be upset about. The boys are still highly ranked in that state and move on to the state finals meet. Sanford comments on how the boys can make the most out of the state championship.

“We need to be more aggressive as a group,” Sanford said. “Our first mile went well but miles two and three need to be faster. However, I do believe that the atmosphere at states will help with that.”

Both teams have had outstanding seasons, not to mention great regional races as well. This is only the third time in school history that both teams qualify for states and the first time it has happened in back-to-back years. The racing atmosphere at the Michigan International Speedway is like no other, which should be a factor of success for these hard-working teams. Coach Schipper believes that his team is ready to tackle the challenge ahead.

“At this point, all of the hard work has been done,” Schipper said. “They just need to trust their training, keep their emotions in check, and be confident on race day.”