Tz’s Tea: Who were the best male and female junior fall athletes at FHC?

Junior year is the most difficult year academically and athletically. In the class of 2024, there are two juniors athletes that overcame every hardship their junior years threw at them. These two athletes are Avery Weslow and JT Hartman.

Avery Weslow is an incredibly talented volleyball player. She has played on the national level since she was eight-years-old for FarOut Volleyball Club.

“I have played volleyball ever since I could walk. My sister played, so I grew up around [volleyball] and I would go to all of her tournaments,” Weslow said.

At FHC, she has played on varsity ever since her freshman year. Her main position is an all-around outside hitter, but her freshman year, coach Dayle put her as a right side hitter so she could get more playing time on the court. Sophomore and junior years, she started as a six-rotation outside. Heading into her senior year next year, it will be her fourth and final year on varsity. To nobody’s surprise, she will be on the court as a six rotation outside dominating the court. She is uncertain if next year will be her final year of playing volleyball altogether or if she is going to pursue her volleyball career in college.

Her intense commitment to volleyball over the course of her life undoubtedly makes her the best female fall athlete at FHC. Although she doesn’t play multiple sports now, she is extremely athletic. She was named 2nd Team All-State, All-Region, and OK White All-Conference. She ended her junior year with 503 kills. Academically, she balances her life very well. Avery misses a ton of school traveling all over the country. Every weekend, she is somewhere in America whether it is Kentucky, Florida, or even Nevada. Despite her missing school for tournaments and having to balance her social and academic lives with volleyball, she succeeds. She currently has a 3.85 accumulative GPA.

As for JT Hartman, this year was his second year on the varsity football team. During his freshman year, he played on JV which is rare to see in the football program. He has been playing football ever since he was five-years-old. He started playing because his dad was a coach and because he really liked the sport. His dedication to football is the reason why he is the best male fall athlete. JT was named All-Conference and All-Region this year, and I am sure that his senior year will be filled with more achievements. Balancing his athletic life with his social and academic lives has been simple for him as he focuses on football and school on the weekdays while prioritizing his social life on the weekends.

As for his stats during his junior year, he was a major contributor to the road that led the football team to the playing for a division 2 state title. JT led all other players in rushing yards with 1,202 on 162 carries. With those rushing attempts, he scored nine touchdowns on the ground. When he was not rushing the ball, he was catching it through the air as he was second on the team with seven receptions that tallied 155 yards and one touchdown.

Overall, both of these junior athletes have bright futures ahead of them. As a fellow junior, I grew up with both of these athletes. They are gifted in sports but alongside that, they are two wonderful people. As both Avery and JT are genuinely good people and a phenomenal athletes, they will succeed in life. Whether they choose to continue playing their respective sports in college or not, they will always be the best fall athletes in the class of 2024.