Girls JV golf swings into the season

Even though the season has just launched, the JV girls golf team has already started strong. The team is ready to take on the challenges that will be thrown at it and swing its way into a successful season. 

The team is made up of nine girls: one junior, four sophomores, and four freshmen, and everyone is excited to see what the girls are going to bring to their team. 

To start off the season, the girls played Northview and Lowell on August 17. While winning against Lowell, they were defeated by Northview. The scores are as follows: Lowell 229, FHC 219, and Northview 214. However, they picked themselves back up and won their last two matches against East Grand Rapids and Grand Rapids Christian. Their fourth game on August 29 was unfortunately canceled. 

Returning sophomore Emmary Mckee has all good things to say about the team as a whole and her teammates individually.  

“The team is good, and I can already see a huge improvement,” Emmary said. “We have won all but one match, so I’m really proud of the team that coach [Sobieck] has chosen.” 

FHC will be traveling to Glenkerry Golf Course on August 31, at 3:30 p.m. to face off against Greenville. The girls are looking forward to working together to get a win and continue the season strong. 

“After having my largest team ever last year with 18 players, this year I have my smallest with nine,” coach Sobieck said. “Four of my freshmen from last year did a great job this summer working on their games and made the varsity team, which has left me with three returning players from last year, Estella Yaw, Emmary Mckee, and Mary Kate Dean. The three of them are definitely the leaders and they are off to great starts. The six remaining players include two other sophomores, and four freshmen. We have a young and inexperienced team that has already learned a ton and are making great progress. I’m looking forward to seeing how things shape up the remainder of the year after a great start.”