The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

What is Skip Bayless talking about?

What is Skip Bayless talking about?

A few weeks ago, Skip Bayless, host of the Skip Bayless Show, made some incredibly controversial takes about NFL quarterbacks involving Baker Mayfield, Kirk Cousins, and Dak Prescott. But who is Skip Bayless?

Skip Bayless is a name that lots of sports fans (mainly football) know or have heard name of plenty of times, having some recent controversy over his partner leaving the show that he had co-hosted alongside, Shannon Sharpe. Shannon Sharpe had been working with Skip for years and throughout time Shannon had decided to leave the show due to Skip Bayless being too difficult and too “toxic” for him. Disrespect and years of arguments between the two had made Shannon want to move on to other stations. Other than that, Skip has been in the business for a while when it comes to sports podcasts. But recently, he had made some takes that I downright consider stupid and a joke.

Now what exactly did Skip Bayless say? On March 15, Skip had some controversial takes about Baker Mayfield being a much better player than he is. Now that isn’t to discredit Baker Mayfield at all, seeing how he had a season that was easily worthy of Comeback Player of the Year; Baker Mayfield truly was a great player this year. But the fact that Skip Bayless decided to say “I would take Baker Mayfield over Dak Prescott” is more than a terrible take, not only that but he also states how Baker Mayfield played better than Kirk Cousins this year. With both takes being absurd, I can’t just say they’re bad, which is why I’m going to explain why both Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins are much better.

To start, Dak Prescott already had what deserved to be an MVP season, which Baker Mayfield did not do. Having the best season he has ever had, Dak Prescott was more than worthy of winning the MVP award. Third in passing yards with 4,516 yards, first in touchdowns hoisting 36, and second in QBR with a QBR of 72.7. And I wouldn’t want to leave this out, but only nine interceptions on the season. Comparing these stats to somebody like Baker Mayfield, Dak is doing better by a landslide. Now while I am a firm believer that stats don’t matter, you truly can’t deny that Dak led his team incredibly and better than Baker did. And while a decent amount of people would argue that Dak had a much better offense around him, that simply isn’t true. In a world where I had to decide if I wanted to take CeeDee Lamb, Michael Gallup, and Brandin Cooks; or take Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Trey Palmer, I just might take the Buccaneers wide receiver core. The two tight ends on each team are comparable as well, Cade Otton vs Jake Ferguson. When it comes to their tight ends they aren’t much different. Running backs shouldn’t affect the passer rating of a quarterback so even if Dak had a better running back on his offense, it truly shouldn’t amount to much since it is a running back. That is why I believe that Skip Bayless might be going crazy.

Secondly, Kirk Cousins had a great quarterback season that wound up short, just like the New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Kirk had only gotten to play eight games before he suffered an Achilles tear after a win against a division-rival team, the Green Bay Packers. During these first weeks of the season, Kirk Cousins was looking incredible and so far into the season he had a rating of 103.8 (that’s good) and a QBR of 63.2. But regardless of his ratings he was leading the league in yards and he had two incredible receivers that he had gotten to throw to. With the production we were seeing from 35-year-old Cousins, we honestly believed he was eclipsing 5000 yards. And for Skip Bayless to cherry-pick certain games in which Baker had done good, it’s honestly disappointing. A statement that Skip Bayless had made was “Baker Mayfield played so much better last year than Kirk Cousins did.” It’s a stupid statement and there’s no true evidence. Skip had decided, however, to cherry-pick stats from the second to last game of the regular season talking about how Baker Mayfield was the only quarterback in Lambeau field history to have a perfect passer rating. Mind you, at this time Kirk Cousins was sitting on the sideline and being injured. However, during the first eight weeks that Kirk Cousins wasn’t injured, he was producing much better than Baker Mayfield, as Baker still hadn’t begun making his “comeback” yet.

Now besides how much it seems I am hating on Baker Mayfield, I truly don’t. Baker Mayfield has made a complete 180 in his career this year and I hope that he can be an incredible quarterback that didn’t end up as a bust. Baker Mayfield was able to lead the team to a better record after being traded from a 5-12 Los Angeles Rams team as a backup. But he was able to get them the 9-8 record and win the NFC South. Finishing ninth with 4,044 yards, seventh in touchdowns having 28, and being 18th and QBR with an overall 54.3 QBR, he truly did do a great job this year.