Freshman baseball goes 1-1 in its first doubleheader of the season against Byron Center

The freshman baseball team started its season off with a bummer on Tuesday, as they lost 9-6 against Byron Center. However, the boys won their second game, 13-2, versus Byron in a doubleheader. With many freshman baseball players pulled up to JV, the freshman team is treading the waters right now and finding ways to perform without them.

The boys struggled in their first game with some errors defensively, missing a few ground balls and hops which lead to some scores for the opposing team.

“We could have played better on defense, and we missed a few ground balls,” freshman Drew Fortino said when asked what the Rangers could have done to play better. “We just had a few errors defensively.”

In the second game, the boys showed off their offensive craftiness seen in the previous game and dominated Byron Center, scoring 13 runs. Playing out of their minds, the tightly-knit group of freshmen did not commit nearly as many defensive errors as they did in the first matchup. After losing a crusher in the first outing, they came back with a vengeance to outlast Byron all over the field by matching their offensive mastery with newfound defensive success. When all was said and done, the Rangers held them to only two runs in their second game of the doubleheader.

The boys look to defeat Lowell on Thursday, April 15th by executing well both defensively and offensively. If they wish to accomplish this, they must scrape the rust off quickly and spread out the wealth in both games. As FHC closes in on the jam-packed part of the season, they are excited to see how well they can progress in all facets of the game.