The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

Q and A with gymnast, junior Claire Worth

Name: Claire Worth

Sport: Gymnastics

Grade: Junior

How long have you been doing gymnastics?

“I have been doing gymnastics since I was about 5 years old. I started at R-Athletics (club team) and eventually took a break from it around 7th grade. I came back freshman year because I missed doing the sport I’ve always been in throughout my whole life.”

Why did you start doing gymnastics?

“I started doing gymnastics because I’ve always had a passion for it since I was young. I always loved being able to flip and do cool tricks. It’s also very competitive, which I think also drew me into the sport.”

What is your best memory from your time doing gymnastics?

“My best memory from gymnastics was going to states when I was a level 7 at R-Athletics. I won 1st place in most of my events and won all-around, which meant you would make it to states for your division. I did the best I could for states and placed high.”

What’s your favorite thing about it?

“My favorite thing about gymnastics is the environment and team. In gymnastics, everyone is very positive and shows so much support. We also do a lot of team bonding which helps everyone come together as a team and friends.”

Do you like dogs or cats more?

“I’m more of a cat person because I’ve grown up with many cats throughout my life. I have 2 cats right now named June and Cash, after Johnny Cash and his wife June Carter. They love to cuddle with everyone and are friendly with my dogs also.”

What are your individual goals this season?

“My individual goals this season are to place well in Vault and Beam. I placed 3rd on Vault this year (my highest score) and I placed 8th on Beam (also highest I’ve placed). Another goal is to get all my qualifying scores, which I have for both Vault and Beam. I just need 1 more qualifying score for Bars and that will let me be able to compete in regionals.”

What are the strengths of this year’s team?

“There are many strengths of this year’s team. This year, we have many new people who have been in gymnastics before high school gymnastics. They all have proven that they can get back to competing and getting new skills. We all are also very supportive of our teammates by being cheerful and helping others with new skills.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career and why?

“My biggest influence in my athletic career is Simone Biles because she is amazing at gymnastics. She is known for being the greatest gymnast of all time. She has created many different skills named after herself. She took a break from gymnastics for her mental health, and came back better than ever.”