Q and A with gymnast, senior Rachael Yeager

Name: Rachael Yeager

Sport: Gymnastics

Grade: Senior

How long have you been doing gymnastics? 

“I’ve been doing gymnastics for almost 10 years, and this is my fourth year of high school gymnastics. I started it when I lived in New Mexico and have been doing it since.”

What other sports do you play at FHC?

“I do diving, and just finished that season in the fall this year but [I] did that for four years as well. I also did track my sophomore year and made it to regionals for high jump.”

What is your best memory from your time doing gymnastics?

“During my sophomore year on the team, we unexpectedly made it to states. You have to place in the top 3 teams at regionals in order to go to states, and we were seeded 4th. However, we ended up beating the third place team and making it to states.

What’s your favorite thing about gymnastics?

“I really like how there are four different events (vault, bars, beam, and floor). That way, you can focus on different types of skills and events on different days, and it also gives a nice variety when I get bored with one event. If I had to choose, I would say my favorite event is floor.

Do you prefer dogs or cats?

“I’m definitely a dog person. I currently have two dogs – one is a wiener dog and one is a pit bull who wears a diaper, and they’re my favorite. I really like how cuddly and playful they are and how happy they are to see me every day.”

What are your individual goals this season?

“I really want to go to states this season. I’ve gone the past two years, but last year I got injured during the meet. I would love to go again and hopefully improve my scores and routines. I also want to upgrade my vault this season.”

What are the strengths of this year’s team?

“We had some new people join the team this year that are pretty experienced, and they have been super beneficial to the team. We also have an awesome group of people who are completely new to the sport, and they bring a lot of energy and really help pump up the team.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career and why?

“My old coach at R-Athletics who I had when I did Junior Olympics here in Michigan, probably had the greatest influence on my gymnastics and athletic career. She really enforced the basics and expected perfection which has helped me achieve many of my athletic accomplishments, even beyond gymnastics.”