Q & A with girls JV basketball player, freshman Katie Schillaci

Name: Katie Schillaci

Grade: Freshman

Sport: Girls JV basketball

How long have you been playing basketball?

“I have been playing basketball since 3rd grade, so this will be my seventh year playing. ”

What other sports do you play at FHC?

Along with basketball, I am also doing track and field in the spring. In track, I run hurdles, relays, and long jump, and I have been doing track for five years.”

What is your best memory from your time playing basketball, and why?

I believe my best memory from basketball was definitely last year when we played Lowell at home. Before that game, we had not beaten Lowell and have had some tough losses to them. Going into the second half, we were down by six and didn’t make a big run in the third quarter. But once we started to go into the fourth quarter, we started to realize we really wanted this win because it was going to be the last time we played them that season. In the fourth quarter, with our press, we forced many turnovers, and that caused us to go on a scoring run. And that led us to win by ten.”

What are the strengths of this year’s team?

“I think the main strengths that our team has is definitely our athleticism and our quickness. I think a big part of that was the strength and conditioning we had at the beginning of the season.”

What are your individual goals for this season?

“Some of my individual goals this season are to score ten 3[pointer]s (I already have four), to average eight points, and to do a reverse layup in a game. I believe I will be able to do all of these just based on how the season has gone so far.

Do you have any superstitions associated with your games?

“As far as superstitions, I have a lot. I like to wear the same hairstyle during games, which is two braids with a bun, and I always have a teammate of mine, Ryan Palmer, do it. I also put the same lotion on my legs every game, along with a lot of form shooting before the game. I have been doing most of these since 7th grade, and I don’t know if I will ever stop.”

What is your favorite class this year and why?

“Right now, my favorite class is English. Just because it’s easy and not a class I really have to worry about. At least I haven’t had to so far.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career and why?

“I think my biggest influence right now is Kobe Bryant. I wear his number right now, and I really like his mentality and passion for the game.”