Jenna Stibitz is an upcoming star for FHC’s volleyball program

This year on the varsity volleyball team, a new spark of talent is freshman Jenna Stibitz. Her ability to play the game at such an advanced level as a freshman hasn’t been seen since senior Avery Weslow and recently graduated athlete Sarah Dunn. 

“I’ve always gotten great feedback from my teammates when I first started playing volleyball,” Stibitz said.”I’ve always been used to getting compliments from people stating that I was a good player, and I have always appreciated that.”

Stibitz has always been a great athlete, yet she started later than most girls when it came to playing sports. 

“I first started playing volleyball in the 7th grade,“ Stibitz said. “I always wanted to try it as I grew up.”

Normally, athletes placed on varsity as a freshman have been training and playing their sports for many years; Stibitz started three years ago. Also, the majority of athletes on varsity as a freshman will move on to play at a higher level.  

The reason Stibitz started playing is admirable. 

“My older sister is who I admire; Mia first started playing in 7th grade as well,” Stibttz said. “She is my biggest inspiration, and I want to be just like her.”

Jenna also played club volleyball for a couple of years.

“I did used to play for Michigan Volleyball Academy dating back to 7th grade,” Stibz remarked. “The reason I quit club was because I wanted to play basketball as well. I do like volleyball more and plan to try out for Farout this upcoming year.”

Jenna is a humble and non-egotistical person. She showed this during summer open gyms when playing with all grade levels in the volleyball program; she also did this during tryouts. 

“When I first walked into the gym in the summer, I was intimidated by everyone not knowing where I fit in,” Stibitz said. “After tryouts, I thought I was going to be on freshman with all the other girls in my grade, but part of me felt like there was a chance I could be on JV. The most surprising thing was that I did not at all think I would have a chance on varsity.”

Stibitz is thankful for the welcoming attitude of the varsity players.

“Avery Weslow, Kinzi Tilton, Coco Mehney, and Ava McDonald have made me feel like part of the team,” Stibitz said.”Whenever I’m feeling down, not performing well, and having off days, they are always there to pick me up. They constantly give me compliments and teach me things to help me get better.”

Stibitz understands her role on the team, and if that is her not playing as much, she is aware.

“I know my role on the team,” Stibitz said. “Right now, I know I just need to learn and understand the pace of play. I also need to comprehend the game more so I can help build the program to be even better moving forward.”