Noah Kriekard has gone through a surprising journey in his first three years of high school

When junior Noah Kriekard envisioned what his high school career would look like, he imagined it highly different than how it unfolded. 

“I did not even expect that I would end up on this journey,” Noah claimed. “I was really good at baseball growing up and thought that would be my future. But I ended up on the tennis courts, and I could not be happier.”

Before Noah’s stardom on the tennis courts, he was on the courts to just have fun. It all began when Noah was eight years old. His dad introduced Noah to the sport, and they would casually play the sport for fun. While other hobbies like baseball and fishing had their priorities, Noah would see a slight improvement in his tennis game.

At first, I played tennis for fun with my family or just my dad,” Noah said, “but after quickly learning the game and playing at a higher level, my dad signed me up for lessons.” 

While Noah continued to improve in the sport of tennis gradually, a new sport became the main focus: baseball. Baseball, a sport where hand-eye coordination means everything, was the future for Noah. Officially, after two years, Noah dropped tennis to transition to the diamond. Noah became very efficient at baseball while enjoying fishing and hanging out with his family during his middle school years. He also had been playing the guitar for over five years. Tennis was obviously not the focus, but that would soon change.

“When I got older and started my middle school years, baseball was the priority,” Noah said. “I played travel for four years, and I always enjoyed the tournaments and the atmosphere in those games.”

Baseball started to fade on Noah as he approached high school, and when high school hit, he made a tough decision. Since baseball and tennis are in the same season, he had to make a decision on what to play. Noah decided to try out tennis over the sport he worshipped for the past few years. 

“When I got to the high school, I decided to play tennis over baseball,” Noah said. “Although I love baseball, I knew I wanted to play tennis and that a new journey was upon me.”

As a freshman, Noah made the JV team and was content with improving in the sport he hadn’t played in over three years.

The fall of 2020 came, and Noah was blessed to hit the court finally. However, there was an immense difference in this season compared to the last. Noah made varsity as a sophomore and was paired with teammate Devin Holcomb. A much improved season from Noah produced a roller coaster of a season. The four-doubles team had some great memories together, but nothing could top the win versus the undefeated four-doubles team from Forest Hills Northern. In a heated matchup, Noah and Devin stunned the undefeated Huskies in their biggest win of the season. With Noah showing numerous moments of improvement throughout the season, many people, including head coach Dan Bolhouse were ready to give him the green light at the start of his junior campaign.

“I saw great progression in Noah’s level of play throughout his sophomore year,” coach Bolhouse said, “so when his junior year came around, I was not surprised with the excellent season he produced.” 

Noah entered his junior year the most confident and talented tennis player he had ever been. His partner, senior Nick Yasenchak, would have the best season of his career as well. Although the duo had an even record, the opponents that they faced all year were tough. Through thick and thin, Noah and Nick stuck together, which is the reason why they were able to defeat powerhouse Midland Dow the third time they played the Chargers. Midland Dow defeated Noah and Nick on two occasions, but the duo got its revenge in the third and most crucial matchup. 

“We lost to Midland Dow in the first two matchups,” Noah said. “But in our third match, Nick and I played the best we’ve ever played, which led us to the victory.”

Throughout his wild and peculiar sports journey, Noah has been an improviser; he gave up the sport he loved most, but it has paved the way for greatness. 

“One word to describe my career is surprising,” Kriekard said. “I didn’t think I would end up through this path, but I’m happy with the decisions I’ve made.”