Crew wins its final regatta of the season against Northview, Traverse City, and Northville

Last Saturday, the crew team competed at Boardman Lake in Traverse City. FHC beat the defending state champs, Northville, and ultimately won the whole regatta against three other schools.

Medals were only awarded to the first place boats, and they are as follows, men’s novice eight, men’s novice four, men’s freshman four, women’s novice eight, women’s novice four, men’s varsity four, men’s junior four, men’s varsity single, and women’s varsity eight.

Head coach Peter Ross sent out a special thanks to seniors Alaina Briggs, Abigail Cool, co-captain Valerie Greenwood, and co-captain Megan Cushman. He also thanked the following senior boys: Alex Wooden, Tanner Wooden, Ethan DiLorenzo, Josh Phillip, co-captain Caleb Scholtens, and co-captain Ben Busch.

All season, the men’s novice four boat has been a dominant force on the water. They were able to finish the season undefeated, going 5-0 in all of its regattas. The athletes in this boat were freshman Lucas Fors, sophomore Travis Bolt, sophomore Will Pointer, freshman Joey Sitarski, and the motor of the boat, junior coxswain Lily Klaasen.

“This is a super dedicated team, and I believe we are able to win states again next year,” junior Kevin McPoland said.

With a lot of returners expected to leave their mark on the team next year, a back-to-back state championship is in the Rangers’ grasp. They will work extremely hard over the next year to hopefully make that a reality.