Freshman baseball redeems itself with four consecutive wins over West Ottawa on back-to-back days

On Tuesday, the freshman baseball team played a doubleheader against West Ottawa. FHC came out victorious in both battles, winning the first game 3-0 and the second 9-1. With a rough week last week, this was the perfect way to bounce back. The Rangers carried on their momentum from the most recent game onto this one; they played outstanding overall.

The freshmen played well defensively and offensively. There were not many mistakes at all, as shown in the scores. Matthew Curtis and Matthew Seurynck both pitched very well, helping a great deal on the defensive side. Only one run was scored in the total of both games, really showing that the freshmen are capable of defending well. Joey Wing also had a huge RBI in the second game, pushing the Rangers past West Ottawa.

“We played very well all around and we were very solid,” freshman Drew Fortino said.

The following day, the boys played another doubleheader against West Ottawa. Picking up where they left off, the Rangers won their first game 15-2. In the second game, some struggles interfered but they still came out on top. Matthew Curtis was hit by a pitch four times when batting, displaying the poor pitching from the opposing side. Despite the numerous plunks, FHC still found a way to stay in the game. With help from some big plays, the Rangers won 8-7.

The first game of this doubleheader was a complete blowout. From start to finish, West Ottawa couldn’t produce anything on the Rangers. The second game, however, is where things got interesting; it was a tight game throughout. Going into the last inning, the score was 4-2 in favor of West Ottawa; nonetheless, the Rangers ended up scoring a huge six runs to grab the lead. Joey Wing had another very clutch hit, leading the boys through the rally. However, West Ottawa brought it back and scored three runs, making it a one-run lead for the Rangers. FHC ended up closing out the game and escaping with a clean sweep of West Ottawa for the second consecutive day.

“The second game was very stressful we didn’t hit very well,” said Alex Brown. “Joey Wing came in clutch at the end of the game when it was tied and hit it right past the third baseman for the win.”

On Thursday, May 6th, the boys travel to Byron Center for the third time this season. This will be a huge game for the Rangers, with the past two games against BC resulting in a split. This time, they are looking to go 2-0 and take the overall lead against the Bulldogs. The following day, FHC will make the trip to Hudsonville to battle the Eagles in just a single game. Both events will take place at 4:15 PM.