FHC ski looks to continue success with key returners

While the FHC ski team may have come up just short of a possible state run last year, how the ’22-’23 season ended for FHC ski was not an accurate representation of the talent that they had. Both teams placed fourth at regionals, leaving them one place shy of a ticket to states.

The team also proved themselves at multiple meets in Cannonsburg and Caberfae. However, the team views this year’s fresh powder as an opportunity to attack each meet and regionals to secure themselves a spot at states.

Senior captain Matthew Taylor said the team has key goals for the team this winter.

“I hope some of us can make it to states,” Taylor said. “If not the whole team. I hope we can do well at regionals and win a couple of meets this year.”

The main selling point of the team this year is the heavy amount of key returns that helped the team get to where they were last season. With great returning athletes, making a trip to states should be ever so slightly easier. Taylor said the returners are ready to make a difference alongside him.

“Some key returners on the guys’ side are [senior] Brett Comiskey, [senior] Nico Notarnicola, and [sophomore] Grant McLean,” Taylor said. “However, Mickey  just got injured, so most of us need to pick up that slack.”

While the boys’ side does bring back many key pieces to last year’s success, one will not be joining them. Senior Mickey Mehney unfortunately suffered an ACL tear and won’t be able to boot up for the Rangers. Mehney was a consistent skier and often placed in the top two for the team. Although Mehney can’t race, he understands what returners mean to this team.

Last year, we had a lot of really good racers,” Mehney said. “And I know we have a lot of them coming back this year.”

While this loss for the team will be a hit, the other returners have improved and new underclassmen talent will rise to succeed. As for the girls’ side, head coach Sara Sutton has some key returners.

“[Sophomore] Chloe Cox and [sophomore] Addy Quinn are huge returners.” Sutton said, “We also have quite a few seniors: [senior] Kiera Kemppainen,  [senior] Maya Sneider, [senior] Elana Kavanagh, [senior] Molly O’Meara, and [senior] Olivia Oorbeck, who will bring a lot of momentum to the girls side.”

It is quite safe to say the girls’ side of FHC ski is bound to be dangerous, with both Cox and Quinn competing at states as freshmen last year. Plus, the large number of seniors for the Lady Rangers will bring leadership and motivation for success this winter. Coach Sutton said two returners will be key.

“We have two returning skiers who went to states as freshmen,” Sutton said, “Chloe Cox and Addy Quinn, so I am really excited for them. I think they will rally our girls in a big way.”

As it seems from what we have seen, both the girls and guys have big expectations for themselves due to the way their season ended last year. Even though great skiers graduated last year and injuries nag at the guys’ side, FHC ski rises with their chemistry and team community. Chemistry is what separates the good team from the great, and the Rangers dominate in that category. Mehney said team chemistry is important for his squad.

With the team chemistry,” Mehney said. “There is no judgment, and everyone tries to help each other go faster and be our best. We are all friends, so it makes the whole experience better.”