Q and A with varsity golfer, freshman Caroline VanderVelde

Name: Caroline VanderVelde

Sport: Varsity golf

Class: Freshman

How long have you been playing golf?

“I have been playing golf since I was six and have done junior programs and tournaments since then.”

What other sports do you play at FHC? 

“I play basketball and lacrosse for the school, as well, and plan on trying out for those teams in the winter and spring.”

What is your best memory from your time playing?

“I have made a lot of great memories while golfing, but one of my favorites was playing in a golf tournament with my dad this September and coming in second place. We played a scramble at Thousand Oaks Golf Club and had a great time.”

What are the strengths of this year’s team? 

“Some of the team’s strengths that set us apart from other teams are that our team is very welcoming and kind to not only our teammates but also to opposing teams. Our team is also very close-knit, and even after only knowing these girls for two months, I feel like I have developed long-lasting friendships with all of them.”

What are your individual goals for this year’s season? 

“My individual goals for this season are to help benefit the team and make the most of this experience by learning from my coach and my teammates.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career, and why?

“The biggest influence on my athletic career is my dad. He also did multiple sports and has good advice that helps me improve. He is also very supportive of me and enjoys watching and coaching me.”

Who is your favorite professional athlete, and why?

“Serena Williams is my favorite professional athlete because of her work ethic and because she broke down barriers and tennis records.”

What is your favorite class this year, and why?

“My favorite class is Economics because I like the teacher, Mr. Anderson, and I have that class with my friends.”