Q & A with varsity volleyball player, junior Meredith Bethea

Name: Meredith Bethea

Sport: Varsity volleyball

Class: Junior

How long have you been playing volleyball?

“This upcoming year will be my fourth year playing volleyball.”

Do you play any other sports at FHC?

“I don’t play any other sports at FHC.”

What is your best memory from your time playing volleyball? 

“My best memory from playing volleyball is most likely just winning, playing hard, and having fun.”

What are your individual goals for this season? 

“This season, I would like to become a more consistent all-around player and improve in any way I can.”

Is there a story or any significance behind your number?

“Freshman season, I played on JV, and I was #12. Last year on varsity, I moved to #11. This year, I was going to be #10 to keep the numbers going down and also to take my former favorite senior’s number. However, a senior from this year called it, so I just had to stay #11. I’m not mad about it because I feel like #11 fits me.”

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve gotten from a coach?

“Don’t look at the score; just play because you love the sport.” That always got my team settled down, and we ended up having fun instead of getting stressed, which is why we played the sport in the beginning. Sometimes, you have to remember why you started and why you love the sport.”

What music do you listen to to get fired up before games?

“No Hands.” This song has been a must ever since freshman year. I’ve listened to it before every game.”

Who is the biggest influence on your athletic career, and why?  

“Honestly, I don’t have an influence I look up to. Sure, I wish I was as good as a lot of players, but I just play because I love playing the sport. I like to think I’m creating my future. I don’t want to be anyone else or follow in anyone else’s footsteps. Instead, I want to make the footsteps.”