The girls track & field team head into its conference meet undefeated

After having an amazing performance at the Spartan Classic Track and Field Invite, with the girls coming out overall in third place out of 17 teams with 60 points, the team knew that there was going to be much pressure going into its next meet. Nonetheless, the girls had some outstanding performances on the track side such as Emma Goring taking second in the 100-meter with a time of 13.31; Peyton Ludwig in the 800-meter going a time of 2:22.01 and gaining third place; 4×100 relay with Lucy Yoder, Brooke Bowers, Zenash Cumings, Emma Goring taking first in 50.97; and the 4×200 relay gaining second place with Lucy Yoder, Gwen Lamport, Zenash Cumings, Emma Goring and having an accumulated time of 1:46.53. The field side also had some phenomenal performances like Brooke Bowers taking first in the pole vault with a height of 11’ 0. So going into the team’s next meet, there was plenty of high standards in which the girls knew that they would have to compete against. 

On Wednesday, May 3, the girls compete against Greenville and Byron Center. Not only was this a meet one the girls wanted to win because this would make them undefeated going into the OK White Conference Meet, but it also was senior night for four amazing athletes on the girl’s team: Abby Cumings, Lauryn Gaskin, Allison Kelly, and Serena Theide. However, this pressure would not discourage the girls but rather motivate them more and that would later on become evident with the girls coming out on top against both Greenville, 115-22, and Byron Center, 90-47. 

Throughout the meet, the girls did not disappoint one bit. To start off strong on the track, there were many performances that proved that this team is unstoppable. One of those being Emma Goring taking first and achieving two new personal records in both the 100-meter, with a time of 12.80, and the 200-meter, with a time of 26.44. Peyton Ludwig would also have a great night by taking first in the 800-meter, with a time of 2:28.21, and the 400-meter, with a time and a new personal record of 1:02.72. 

The girls would also take first in all four of the relays. Those being the 4×100 with Lucy Yoder, Brooke Bowers, Zenash Cumings, Lauryn Gaskin and a time of 51.60; 4×200 relay with an overall time of 1:46.04 which was run by Lucy Yoder, Gwen Lamport, Zenash Cumings, Emma Goring; 4×400 with Gwen Lamport, Peyton Ludwig, Zenash Cumings, Emma Goring and going a time of 4:10.75; and the 4×800 relay with a time of 10:19.52 and was run by Mia Stibitz, Peyton Ludwig, Anna Krampe, Anna Sybenga. 

Not only did the girls do great on the track side of the meet, but the field side did not show up to mess around. They were able to lay down some great performances that would enhance their points and prove that they are a threat to other girls throughout their conference. One of those being freshman Olivia Latunski with taking third in the shot put, with a throw of 27’ 11, and second in the discus, with a new personal record throw of 87’ 2. Another one was Brooke Bowers, who once again showed how outstanding of a field performer she is by taking first in both the pole vault, with a height of 11’ 6, and the long jump, with a jump of 14’ 9.5. 

Now with the final regular season done and the girls preparing for the conference meet, there are many stakes in which the girls are having to prepare for. However, these pressure are nowhere new, meaning they know exactly what needs to be done in order for them to perform at their best. Nonetheless, the girls are gearing up to compete at the OK White Conference Meet on Thursday, May 11, through Friday, May 12. They will be competing at Nickels School against seven other teams with the meet beginning at 3:15 pm on Thursday. Make sure to support and wish these Lady Rangers good luck as they enter the end of their phenomenal season!