FHC freshmen skiers race in states at Boyne Mountain

This previous Monday, February 27, two skiers from FHC’s girls varsity ski team made their way up to Boyne Mountain for the state championship race. These two skiers were freshman Addy Quinn as well as freshman Chloe Cox. 

Qualifying for states is a major accomplishment, but as a freshman, qualifying is a remarkable thing and something to be beyond proud of. Addy said, “I was very happy I got to go to states it was my goal since the beginning of the season.” Chloe also speaks about her feelings about qualifying by stating, “I was really excited and grateful for the opportunity to race with some of the best people in the state.”

Starting off with the girls Slalom race, Chloe Cox ended with a first run time of 39.89 seconds and a second run time of 42.08 seconds. Chloe finished with a combined time of 1:21.97 seconds placing 38th overall for this event. Addy Quinn started off with a first run time of 42.21 seconds and a second run time of 43.88 seconds. Addy finished with a combined time of 1:26.09 seconds between her two runs, leaving her in 50th place overall. 

For the girls giant slalom race, Chloe started her runs off with a first time of 45.46 seconds and a second run time of 42.84 seconds. Chloe ended her runs with a combined time of 1:28.30 seconds between both runs, leaving her placed in 62nd place overall. Addy had a first run time of 46.05 seconds and a second run time of 43.29 seconds. Addy finished in 68th place overall for this event with a combined time of 1:29.34 seconds between her two runs. 

Throughout the season the ski team was given, both Chloe and Addy have been putting everything into skiing to make the most of their seasons in the hopes of seeing a qualifying spot for states. Addy speaks about her challenges this season and how long this hope has been around saying, “My biggest challenge was probably that qualifying for states you had to ski well in one race to qualify which was very nerve-racking. I have wanted to qualify for states as either a team or independent since I was in 8th grade because I thought it would be such a great experience and it was.”

As both girls close out the season, Chloe speaks about the season ahead and what she is striving towards. “Next season I’m looking forward to improving my technique, getting some more races in and hopefully we’ll be back at Boyne!”

Congratulations to both freshman Addy Quinn and Chloe Cox for a well-deserved race at states.