FHC ski team competes in its second race of the season

This previous Thursday, February 2, FHC’s ski team competed in its second meet of the season against two other teams. After a successful first meet at Caberfae, the varsity ski team was looking to continue its season while putting up successful times. 

Starting off, the boys varsity team finished 1st for the boys slalom with senior Thomas Carano leading the team with a combined score of 1:09.02. Behind him, one of the boys’ senior captains Christian Bethea as well as junior Mickey Mehney; both with very close times. On top of finishing 1st in the boys slalom, the boys varsity team also managed to finish 2nd in its giant slalom with Christian leading a combined time of 1:00.28 and following behind him was junior Brett Comiskey with a combined time of 1:00.99. 

Thomas was very impressed by the team’s overall performance saying, “I thought the team performed pretty good overall, we won as a team for slalom and got 2nd place only by one point for GS so I’m pretty happy with the overall performance of the team.”

The girls varsity team also competed this previous Thursday coming up in 2nd for both giant slalom and slalom. Freshmen Addy Quinn had a leading time of 1:14.12 between both of her runs. Following behind her was freshman Chloe Cox with a combined time of 1:14.63 and senior captain Lucy McLean with a combined time of 1:17.19. Although they may be newer to the slopes, the freshmen have shown great success and their obvious ability to place well, despite the lack of racing experience this season. 

Senior captain Lucy McLean says, “The girls team was looking to place second overall at this race which I think we accomplished in both GS and slalom.” Lucy also speaks about the teams’ challenges saying, “I would say our biggest challenge is having a girls team where almost half of the girls had either never skied a Cannonsburg course before or never skied at all.” Despite having a girls team full of racers who have never competed before, the team managed to accomplish its goals. 

Due to weather inconsistencies, this was the first race for many racers on the ski team. Sophomore Heather Ringel speaks about her first time experience in a racing environment saying, “I think it went very well. In the beginning, I was terrified to race but my supportive team helped me through it! I learned a lot while making it through the hardships of the season and cannot wait to see what the rest of the season brings.” 

FHC ski team is scheduled to race again on Saturday, February 4, at Cannonsburg in the Norms GS Invite.