Boys JV wrestling has an array of impressive performances as they begin their season at Sparta

This past Saturday the JV wrestling team had a match at Sparta High School. The effort was there for the team throughout the entire match and head coach Brad Anderson was very pleased with the way his team performed.

“I saw a lot of positives yesterday,” coach Anderson said. “Our younger wrestlers did a great job with their first Saturday event.”

Sophomore Michael Campbell won his match at 160 pounds and continues to be a weapon coming off of a great season last year as well. Another win came from freshman Trevor Williams at 152 pounds. Trevor is looking to be a solid wrestler in the program having gone undefeated in last Saturday’s match. Another wrestler that went undefeated this weekend, was freshman Isaac Spratke at 135 pounds. These underclassmen show many promising aspects for the rest of the season along with the future of the Ranger wrestling program.

Sophomore Andrew Weiskopf also performed well, going 1-1 on the weekend. The first match was a very tough fought loss.

“I lost the first match to a kid I should have beat off a very bad mistake,” Andrew said. “I got another shot later in the day and did my job, winning this match in only one minute.”

Coach Anderson is very excited to see what his team is capable of through the season, and continues to talk very highly of his wrestlers.

“Our wrestlers competed very hard, and are sticking to our program playbook,” said Anderson. “I’m very proud of the effort, we just need to clean up a few things to continue with success.”

The next match will be home in the OK White final quad. Lowell and Greenville will make their way to FHC, presenting a huge challenge for the Rangers. Lowell has a deep and successful past in wrestling, and Greenville comes in as a solid team as well. This Wednesday, February 24th, we will see what this squad can do against two very talented opponents.