BBA at FHC

BBA at FHC

For the second winter in a row, a multitude of FHC students have joined the recreational BBA league held in Rockford. BBA is being used by our own FHC students as a way to play a sport they love with some of their best friends while staying out of an extremely competitive and pressure packed league such as the MHSAA. This season, as last year’s seniors left for college and whatever else their futures hold, new players have to fill in their roles to continue their team’s legacy.

Philip Murdock is one of these students who decided to join the league. “I wanted to have an exquisite time with the lads as we hoop,” is what Philip expressed to me. Philip was a competitive hooper all the way up until his sophomore year, ending his career with the Ranger freshman squad. He was craving the exertion of energy; therefore, he took initiative to form his new BBA team.

So far this season, there are a handful of teams made from friend groups in the junior and senior classes that plan to rule the BBA league, and new teams are still forming. One senior team in particular is considered to be stacked. This team consists of  players like Sam Ardinger, Justin Osterhouse, Crandall Quinn, Collin Webb, Jonah McConnel, Dominic Schipani, and Arthur Pelon. This team is looking to continue the Goldfish dynasty as the dominating team coming from the Hills. “I was drafted by Reese last year but ended up on the Reject Raiders,” Ardinger reflected. “I’m excited to play on Goldfish and be on a much more competitive team. I like BBA because it isn’t a huge commitment with baseball practices all winter, but the games still get competitive.”

Although the current seniors are returning for their second year, our juniors are stepping up and filling in spots to join the competition. Along with Philip, Drew Fortino is one of these new hoopers excited to return to basketball. “I chose to play BBA because I wanted to play basketball for fun with my friends,” he told me. “I also like how you can make your own team name and everything is student run.”  That’s the magic of BBA. It’s an official league with a very unofficial feel that is able to thrive and flourish in its uniqueness because of the players who are also part owners and have a say in how everything is run.

This has the makings of a season packed with talent, trash talk, good-natured competition, so when you hear about BBA it in the hallways, take notice and come out to a game.