First year senior athletes

When entering their senior year, many students decide to try out some sports that they’ve either never tried before or return to a sport they gave up. FHC has a large supply of determined students like this, and I’ve got their stories for you.

Sam Ardinger, a dual-sport athlete, decided to rekindle a love for football but this time as a high school player. “I decided to play because I wanted to challenge myself somehow going into senior year. Coach Rogers also approached me and challenged me to just try it out, and I stuck with it through the season. I loved playing this year, but I wish I hadn’t quit back in 6th grade and setting me back a bit.” Sam’s choice surely paid off this year as he went with his team to play at Ford Field for the MHSAA division two state championship.

“I came back to hockey because I have always loved the sport, and I didn’t want to miss out on my senior year with the boys,” said Colin Wojczynski. A student-athlete most people know as Woj decided to leave one of his favorite sports to focus on football and other aspects of his life, but the withdrawals of being on the ice hit him too hard, so he found his way back. Now he gets plenty of minutes on the ice during the games, and he plays a key role on the team, adding skilled depth to the lineup.

Another senior who is starting his varsity career for a new sport is Carter Lyons, who has already begun to positively impact the boys varsity bowling team. When asked to talk about this new experience, he responded with this: “As a senior, I wanted to do a lot my last year here in high school. I’ve always loved bowling. It’s such a fun sport to play, but I never wanted to do it as a sport for the school. This year was different. I went out there just to have fun and do some bowling with some friends and was going for a varsity letter. I was nervous, but after the first day, I felt comfortable and just wanted to come back again, again, and again. I would say I am happy I chose to bowl this year. It’s been a lot of fun.”

All too often, senior students decide to go out for a sport a coach tried recruiting them for, only to realize that they should have begun the sport 3 years ago as a freshman. Don’t let an opportunity pass you. Sieze the opportunities that are offered to you in high school because they will never come again.