JV baseball caps off Grand Rapids Christian series with an unforgettable walk-off homer

On Monday night, the JV baseball team faced off against Grand Rapids Christian in a doubleheader. Yesterday, the boys played the Eagles of Christian for the last time this season. An eerie darkness delay blockaded FHC from finishing off Christian until the game was finally resumed on Wednesday; FHC was up 15-2 before the game was delayed. The Rangers would go on to score six more runs and win the game by a final score of 21-2. Yet, that did not finish the series between the two teams. A single game match was scheduled for this day originally and went on as planned. Coincidentally, FHC finished off Christian in three innings, 18-0.

On the mound, freshman Mason McDonald threw another fantastic scoreless outing. In his three innings on the mound, Mason earned four strikeouts while only allowing two hits. Since the Caledonia nine-run fiasco, FHC has started to limit the errors and runs allowed.

Sophomores Justin Osterhouse and Sammy Mielock continued to carry the offense by combining for a double, three triples, and six RBIs. The most special play of the night came from sophomore Arthur Pelon after he swung on a ball with the bases loaded, sending it over the fence for a memorable walk-off grand slam that forced a mercy rule.

Head coach Steve Courcy described the ending to the series as “the craziest game I’ve ever been a part of,” and the hit that sent it home was just as important.

“I told multiple people after the game how incredible the walk-off was,” Justin said. “That moment really sealed the deal, making the game one of the most fun games I’ve ever played in.”

The Rangers are now 11-1 on the season and will wrap up this week with a game against Grand Haven on Friday, April 30, and a matchup versus West Ottawa the following Saturday. This last series has helped the Rangers gain even more momentum for the eventual home stretch of the season.

“We have momentum going into our upcoming games, and we just need to keep playing the right way,” sophomore star Chase Robinson said.