Q & A with JV girls basketball player Ruthie Bray

Name: Ruthie Bray

Grade: Sophomore

Sport: JV girls basketball

How long have you been playing Basketball?

I have been playing basketball since sixth grade. I played at Ada Christian School in middle school, so I was new to FHC my freshman year.

What other sports do you play at FHC?

Along with basketball, I also do crew in the spring and marching band in the fall.

What is your favorite basketball memory?

My favorite memory from basketball was last year in a game against EGR when Addison Caston shot two perfect free throws to send us into overtime. It was probably the most excited I’ve ever been playing basketball. Sadly we lost after multiple overtimes.

What are the strengths of this year’s team?

I love this year’s team. Our main strengths are that we have super high energy and almost always have fun playing together. We also have very talented athletes in all positions, great captains, and an amazing coach.

What are your goals for the season?

Some of my individual goals for this season would be to be more court aware, knowing each play well enough that it’s ingrained into my muscle memory, and being better at playing defense by moving my feet faster and keeping my arms in the right position.

Who are the biggest influences in your athletic career?

The most influential people in my athletic career are definitely my coaches. They are always working to make you a better player and pushing you to do your best. They also support each team member not only as an athlete but as a person also.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?

As to who my favorite pro athlete is, I would have to say Barry Sanders. I know that he isn’t a professional anymore, but I look up to him because he teaches me that it’s not all about being the best or scoring, it’s about doing your part for the team and having a good time playing the sport. I like his humility.

What type of music do you listen to before games?

I personally don’t have a specific playlist or anything that I listen to before games. I usually just listen to whatever my teammates are playing or what’s playing in the gym. Either way, it usually puts me in a good competitive mood.