The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

Senior Owen Barber looks to lead hockey team to a stellar season

Senior Owen Barber likes this year’s hockey team a lot and looks forward to the potential and what this season has in store for them.

“I think our team is looking just as good if not better than it was last year,” Barber said. “We have a lot more depth and team chemistry this year for sure, which will help win games and make another deep playoff push this year.”

Outside of the rink, though, is definitely when teams succeed the most. That is when the team builds connections and gets to know each other better. And that’s one massive factor in this year’s hockey team: the extra time spent together makes them unique and closer.

“I love the bond that we have and how I genuinely have an enjoyable time playing with the boys,” Barber said. “And hanging out with them outside of practice and the team dinners and bonfires we do on the weekend makes the season more special and memorable.”

Barber also has an individual goal he would like to accomplish along with every season it brings new personal goals and energy that you can spark within yourself to play better, knowing that if you complete that task, it makes your season feel more complete.

“I want to score at least 40 points this season,” Barber said. “And block at least 50 shots.”

This season is also coming with many fun, highly anticipated games as the schedule is getting closer and these games are approaching. The Rangers have some business to finish and some games that mean more than how they are advertised.

“I can’t wait to play EGR and GR Christain this year,” Barber said. “We have unfinished business with them after EGr beat us once last and Christain beat us twice; these games definitely mean the most.”

Also, along with this year, the playoff region has been all switched around. The Rangers have added teams to their Regions, eliminated some, and added new groups to their super part. It will make things more entertaining and give things a recent change of pace this year for the playoffs.

“I like the new playoff schedule and brackets,” Barber said. “I think the competition level is a little higher, but it gives us an excellent opportunity to get back USA Arena for states.”

The Rangers all have one big common goal, and it’s no secret after the success they had last year.

“Make it to the state finals and win it all,” Barber said.