A letter to the Spartans of Michigan State University

This isn’t a sports-related article, but it needs to be written. On February 13, at roughly 8:18 p.m., shots were fired at East Lansing’s Michigan State University. In the end, there were three fatalities, and five students were sent to the hospital in critical condition. The shooter was a 43-year-old man with no affiliation to MSU, leaving his motives a mystery. 

FHC has numerous students each year enrolled at MSU for athletics, but many of them are legacy students. The shooting had a huge impact on the school since many FHC graduates from as recent as last year were in grave danger. While FHC Sports Report as a staff has made posters to show our support for the students and has posted many tweets offering our condolences, I figured it was my turn to show my support. 

To the Spartans of MSU, you have every right to be scared. You have every right to be angry. You have every right to feel whatever way it is that you feel. The day before the tragedy, you walked to classes just like any other day, but within a matter of hours, your worlds turned grim. We have seen Sandy Hook and we have seen Oxford. The honest and gritty truth is threats come closer to our homes more and more every day. We see a shooting on the news and while we sympathize with those within the tragedy, we never see it happening to us. Now, our eyes have opened up again and possibly the widest they have ever been. 

To the Rangers of FHC, we have numerous FHC alumni all over the Spartan campus. While some of them may be unscathed physically, the emotional scars will simply never fade. Rangers, we don’t know if we are to be the next news headline, so all we can do is trust our administration. We can’t fight their rules to keep us and our building safe. So make sure you appreciate your teachers, your friends, and your community because you never know if it could be ripped away from you. 

Spartans, I care and cry for you. I put myself in your shoes and think just how quickly I could lose it all. I can no longer take for granted the life I have been given. I couldn’t imagine a life without my FHC Sports Report staff, and I couldn’t imagine a life without my friends at school. Not a single student should have to attend school in fear. Everybody has his or her own opinions when it comes to gun laws, but nobody can ignore that violence is a problem across our country. 

To my prior editor-in-chief, Thomas Cobb, hearing of your safety brought me an incomprehensible amount of relief. I would not be where I am now if it was not for you. FHC Sports Report would not be where it is now if it was not for you. I am sorry for the permanent scars this event might have left for you. 

Where does the violence stop? Unfortunately, there is no answer to this, nor will there be one for a while. The only thing we can do is appreciate what we have and trust our protectors. To Rangers, Spartans, and whoever else might need to hear this, hug your family, let go of grudges, and tell the people in your lives how much you appreciate them. Spartans of MSU, I send prayers and safe wishes to all students and your families. Remain Spartan strong.