The goal of an athlete

FHC does not disappoint when it comes to offering a wide variety of student-athlete population. From tall to short, bat to saddle, many athletes have immense goals that are specifically tailored to their sports. Some dream big, and some dream small. Some plan for the short-term and some for the long-term. So, why set goals when there is no guarantee that they will be achieved?

Goals help motivate a person to push himself or herself to improve upon his or her current position. If a goal is set, commit to keep fighting and enhance the skills you currently possess. A goal is a promise and a commitment to reach for that spot and take hold of it. When the goal is fulfilled, you feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Time and time again, FHC student-athletes have marked that finish line and ran straight through it. 

Sophomore Seder Middaugh, an FHC student-athlete on the football, basketball, and track & field teams, had this to say about goal-setting. “Setting a goal is extremely important because you want to improve yourself and accomplish something. When you accomplish goals, you make yourself feel better about who you are.” 

The process of setting goals is a tedious one; A goal which is set needs to be achievable and not too unrealistic. Where does one draw the line? Sophomore Addison Reuter, who plays on the FHC girls varsity basketball and soccer teams, knows where she draws the line. “I set goals specifically so that I can grow and make improvements as a player as well as to push myself to work and help my teammates,” she said. “But, I always make sure not to do too much or push myself too much. I don’t want to drain or hurt myself.” 

Everyone perceives his or her limit differently when it comes to how high or low a goal should be set. Not only that, but not every athlete has his or her eyes fixated on the same type of goals. Many athletes have goals that pertain to the mental aspect of the sport, such as having more confidence in themselves. In contrast, many athletes want to connect to the physical aspect of their sport, such as attaining a better swing or better shooting form.

“A physical goal that I have for soccer is to get stronger and become way more aggressive,” said freshman Aubrey Leestma, a soccer and futsal player. “The goal is tough, but I see myself accomplishing this goal by lifting during the off-season and playing against tougher competitors to really challenge myself.”

Many goals are tough to achieve, but when reached, the feeling is indescribable. It should be a moment of reflection and appreciation for all of the work, time, and effort that is finally paying off. It is clear to someone that he or she made that goal for a reason—and it is a reason only he or she would know. Freshman Kenzie Manders, a tri-sport athlete, feels delighted when she reaches her goals. “I just feel more confident when I accomplish something, whether it is big or small. Like if I make a tough shot in basketball, I feel accomplished and better about myself. This feeling makes me want to strive to play even better and tougher for the rest of the game.” 

No matter the goal, the variety can be found here in our athletes at FHC. Their aspirations and dreams help motivate and push them to be the most successful athletes they can be. What goal pushes you to be the best you can be? If you don’t have an answer, there is only one thing to do: See it. Set it. Achieve it.