The emergence of FHC tailgating

The emergence of FHC tailgating

Although the football season is reaching its end this Friday with the final regular season game before playoffs begin next week, the FHC community isn’t letting it stop the parents from enjoying what is left of their student-athlete’s season. 

In the past few years here in Ranger Country, there has been an increasing amount of families and groups tailgating before football games on Friday nights. It is now common to see people setting up tables by their trucks full of food and crowds of people filled with laughter and joy. This age-old tradition that appears to be somewhat new at FHC has brought quite the following, and when asked why it is so appealing to parents, it makes sense why. 

“Well, for me personally, I don’t love watching sports, unless of course, I have a kid to cheer on, but tailgating, especially for football, is a fun time for my friend and I to gather together. We chat about who’s playing, who’s injured, who we think will win, but more importantly, it gets me psyched for the game itself,” comments Melissa Thiede, a mom of two student-athletes. 

Tailgating has helped many people branch out into other social groups they aren’t usually in, and for those parents who only have one student left in the building, it is a great way for parents and students alike to come together, no matter what walk of life they come from.

“It’s fun to connect with other parents and see your kids and their friends having fun and enjoying the excitement and anticipation of the football game,” Kristi Cooper said. 

Similarly to Mrs. Thiede and Mrs. Cooper, football parents love getting ready for the game with friends before heading into the stadium to watch their own student-athletes control the field. 

“It is about camaraderie, socializing, seeing friends, catching up, and supporting our teams,” Tracy Thomas said. “If you just go straight to the game and sit in the stands, you might not see some of the people that you had the opportunity to gather with outside. Some may have to work concessions, take pictures, sit with their student’s team or group, or help with other volunteer positions.”

When compared to what you would normally be eating at the game, some parents rather spend a little extra money eating their own food instead of what you can buy at the concession stand that most people would bat an eye at.

“Truth be told, coming from someone who has actually worked behind the scenes in concession, compared to the typical hot dogs, pizza, and pretzels, there is way more of a variety found in the tailgate area, and I personally prefer that instead of what you can get inside the game,” Mrs. Thiede said. “On top of that though nothing really beats actual time together with friends; it is good for my soul as well as theirs.”

No matter what you think about tailgating before the big game or what you prefer to do while partaking, it is obvious that this trend is only going to grow into a staple that will continue for sports seasons to come. Overall though, our new tailgates are bringing the community together and showing that FHC’s sports are about more than just the game. 

“Our football games are more than just football; they are about the community,” Mrs. Thomas said.