The meaning behind “One Hat”

Mr.Sultini shows his “One Hat” pride on the sleeve of his shirt.

Pride, tradition, and excellence. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. These are just some of the numerous sayings in Ranger country. However, as of last year, FHC has implemented a new way of thinking. 

High school should prepare students academically but should also build a student’s character. Forest Hills Central is no different with its high expression of integrity, humility, accountability, respect, and commitment. Nobody embodies these characteristics more than FHC alumni and AP World History teacher Brad Anderson. 

“The idea of ‘One Hat’ comes from a leadership team of students,” Anderson discussed. “We want all Rangers from kindergarten up through the senior year to exhibit the qualities proposed through this way of thinking.”

The most powerful part of this way of thinking is that it is student formed. If students can hold their fellow classmates to these standards, it will help build a respectful culture. 

While the “One Hat” logo often appears on the back of athletic shirts, it can still be applied to many of the programs and clubs at FHC. It can also be applied to the school as an entity. Principal Steve Passinault has always been a believer in seniors being the unwritten leaders. These students who created “One Hat” assist Passinault in creating a respectful environment in the school. 

“The group began with [Johnathan] Goei, our athletic director, creating a leadership group and those students created the idea and we went with it,” Passinault explained. “We like the idea that it wasn’t just for athletics and could be applied to the whole school. So we adopted that as a theme or mantra for our entire building.” 

Being a Ranger is more than just the school that students attend. The students in the building lead by example and overcome challenging odds. There are silent leaders and there are classic hometown heroes. 

The students of this school will become tomorrow’s leaders, so a new way of thinking can assist in social growth. The characteristics are heavily emphasized by Mr. FHC himself [Brad Anderson]. 

“Rangers lead through action,” Anderson said. “They aren’t afraid to stand up for what they believe in. It’s not always the most outspoken person either. It can be someone who does the right thing when nobody is looking. It is someone who will pick up others when they’re down.”

One of the students who has supported “One Hat” from day one is senior Crandall Quinn. Crandall is a star athlete on the field but also in the classroom, and he possesses most of, if not all, the qualities that “One Hat” emphasizes. 

One Hat is a motto that I think is very influential,” Crandall explained. “Since its creation, I have noticed positive changes in the community. I have always tried to live by an important motto and “One Hat” is definitely something that keeps me accountable. It was created to ensure a culture within our athletic community, but also within our school. Our programs have always had a negative and cocky view when it came to athletics, so we wanted to reform and become an athletic community that is respected and represents sportsmanlike behaviors.”

For many years, the most important aspect of schools has been test scores in academics, and while FHC can excel in that department, there had to be a change to its overall image in terms of respect. 

It takes more than a state championship-bound sports team or a handful of Ivy League students to be respected as a school. People like Crandall and the “One Hat” way of thinking are great steps in the right direction for the school’s future. 

Respect needs to be placed higher up in priorities for schools across the country, and Forest Hills Central is helping develop character in all ages. After all, these are the people who will run the world one day. 

“We have outstanding leaders,” Anderson concluded. “I think it begins with all of those characteristics of the ‘One Hat’ idea.”