JV baseball falls to Northview in double-header

After two big wins against the Jenison Wildcats, JV baseball had high spirits heading into its game against a different Wildcats team.

“We are feeling good coming off a great win,” sophomore Jacob Robertson said.

On Monday, this was the entire team’s feeling going into the game against the Northview Wildcats. This confidence has translated into an 18-1 record before the double-header. However, the beauty of baseball is its unpredictability.

Starting off the game with a bang was freshman Isaiah Wright. After a 1-1 count, Isaiah doubled on a line drive into the right field to give the Rangers a runner in scoring position. Fellow freshman Max Richardson reached base on a hard ground ball to score the first run of the game.

By the end of the first, FHC was up 3-0.

Northview answered back with one of its own in the bottom of the first, but with three quick outs following, FHC was in a good spot. Sophomore Alex Brown added one more in the second inning.

Fast forward to the third inning: Northview added two more runs. The constant tug-of-war would continue up into extra innings. Northview singled to right field on one pitch to walk it off in the eighth inning.

The first game was a heartbreaker, and emotions carried on to the next game.

Isaiah and sophomores Matthew Seurynck and Matthew Curtis had a combined two hits within the game. Despite outhitting the Wildcats, the Rangers took the loss at a score of 7-5. Errors and attitude ate up the JV team, and the boys will look to improve upon this through the last few weeks of the season.

“[Our] emotions got the best of us,” sophomore Jacob Harleton said. “This took our head out of the game.”

JV baseball looks to bounce back against Northview and avoid the sweep on Wednesday, May 18 at 4:15 pm.