Track and field shows grit and determination at Northview

Track and field met at Northview and faced off against Northview, Grand Rapids Christain, and Greenville on Tuesday. Despite the harsh weather, the Rangers showed true grit and took the lead in most events. The team kept its momentum from last week and showed exceptional talent. Being one of the smaller teams in their meets, the Rangers had the opportunity to showcase their skill. 

The men’s 3200-meter dash team showed up strong by taking both first and second place in the race. Sophomore Parker Ludwig took first place with a time of 10 minutes and 27.32 seconds, followed by junior Ethan Krampe in second place with a time of 10 minutes and 49.86 seconds. The women’s team saw sophomores Mia Bateson and Clara James-Heer take third and fourth place with times of 14 minutes and 42.12 seconds and 14 minutes and 42.14 seconds. 

The 100-meter dash was another event run by the FHC track and field. On the men’s team, junior Max Meadow took third place with a time of 11.80 seconds. Additionally, senior Conner Milton took fourth with 11.90 seconds. Junior Lucy Yoder secured third place with a time of 13.73 seconds, and close behind was Lauryn Gaskin in fifth place with a time of 13.93 seconds.

In the field events, Will Richardson finished first in men’s discus with a distance of 110 feet and 5.5 inches. Sophomore Addyson Cousins secured sixth place with a distance of 66 feet and 7.5 inches. Pole vault saw massive successes, with senior Matthew Burns taking second place with a height of 11 feet and 6 inches. Sophomore Brooke Bowers ran the women’s pole vault taking first place with a height of 10 feet as well. 

“It was absolutely freezing, so if we can perform in that kind of weather as we did yesterday [Tuesday], then there’s no telling what we’re going to do at states,” Matt Burns said.

This shows the potential that the track and field team holds and the progression it will continue to make. FHC’s next meet will be at Houseman Field on Saturday, April 30, at 9:00 a.m.