Freshman baseball wins two incredible series against familiar foes

After the cancellation of freshman baseball’s game against Mattawan, the boys faced some familiar conference opponents. The boys’ first game was against Greenville and the Rangers showed no mercy. The base paths were heavily crowded throughout the game. 

Freshman Isaiah Wright reached base on a hit-by-pitch and later advanced to third. Teammate Max Holser hit a sacrifice fly towards the right fielder to get the boys rolling, followed by another RBI from freshman Ty McKellar. This scored freshman Henry Streeter, who reached base on a single to left field. 

Those hits lit the flame for a big rally. With just seven runs in the top of the second, freshman baseball did not stop hitting the ball. The Rangers came through with a mercy rule in the fourth inning. The final score was 19-6. 

Game two against Greenville was not so one-sided. The offense started scoring in the beginning when freshman Brady Osterhouse knocked in Thomas Paplawsky for FHC’s first run of the game. With quiet bats until the fourth inning, two more runs were added by freshman Gibby Grendel and Paplawsky. 

Greenville’s bats then came to life, scoring two more runs going into the fifth inning, but FHC’s freshman pulled away with two more runs to close the coffin of its opponents. The boys finished this series 7-0 and went on to play the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles on April 21.

Freshman baseball took on Grand Rapids Christian at the Gainey Complex of GRC. The boys were mostly on the defensive side until the bottom of the second inning. Freshman Drew Wright grounded out, but scored Osterhouse on the play for FHC’s first run of the game. 

The bats were consistent, and freshman Seder Middaugh reached first. Isaiah knocked Seder in on a hard ground ball to the shortstop. RBIs were racked up by players such as Osterhouse, Holser, Paplawsky, and freshman Colin Hop. The boys pulled away in game one against the Eagles with a 10-1 victory. 

Game two presented a strong offensive push. Holser started out scoring the first run for the Rangers. With the middle innings quiet, the freshman shot back out in the fourth inning, tallying up nine more runs. Freshmen Jaxon Storz, Willem Knoester, and Aaron Schellenberg were hitting the cover off the ball, driving in all the runs this inning with the help of Holser and McKellar. 

Schellenberg was on the mound for the boys going three innings, striking out two, and only walking one. The Rangers tallied 16 hits in the game, with Schellenberg, Knoester, McKellar, and freshman Matthew Geib having had multiple hits. 

The boys will take on the Byron Center Bulldogs on Tuesday, April 26, at 4:15 pm. They go into the series with a 9-0 record.