Sam Sneider: the unsung hero of FHC athletics

For most people, the transition of seasons merely provides a change in temperature and weather. For junior Sam Sneider, though, it means a new sports season has begun.

“Sports have always been a massive part of me,” Sam said. “There are three seasons out of the year in high school, so I use that to my advantage.”

After nearly two years of junior varsity athletics in football and basketball, Sam stuck himself on the map as a long-stick midfielder for the reigning state-champ varsity lacrosse team. Sneider was one of a few sophomores to either start or see significant time, and it was clear that he had secured a starting position for years to come.

In 2019, Sam was just an eighth-grader when then-seniors Luke Majick and Tate Hallock took home the state title; he and the rest of his class entered high school with a blueprint for success in the Ranger lacrosse program. In FHC’s 2021 run to the state semifinals, the sophomore LSM stepped up to a large extent for the team and proved to be a steady hand all season long.

As if his on-field performance was not enough, a first-team nod in the OK White highlighted his true on-the-field impact with his speed and lean, rangy frame. When looking at the massive mural that is Sam’s athletic career thus far, he sees this particular achievement as his most cherished.

“My favorite accomplishment would have to be getting first-team awards in the conference last year,” he said. “I was super proud to take such a big step forward.”

In the fall, he can continue to make memories in Ranger Stadium. The husky 6’3, 190-pound junior has emerged as a serious threat on the football field at the tight end position. In just his first varsity season, Sam has swiftly moved up the depth chart to starting TE; his role on the team is something that he has always desired.

“I used to watch our varsity football team and look up to all of the players,” Sam said. “It’s a different perspective, but I’m glad that I have been able to see both sides.”

As if two varsity sports isn’t enough, Sam’s long-term relationship with basketball seems to bring his athletic prowess into a complete circle. He was a member of the freshmen and JV basketball teams; his JV year saw him improve tremendously on the offensive and defensive ends. By the end of his sophomore year, Sam was consistently a high-impact player on the court.

“Basketball has really grown on me recently,” he said when asked about his hooping ability. “I hope to make the varsity team this winter.”

As Sneider ventures towards arguably the biggest challenge of his sports career thus far, there is no doubt that possesses the guts to get the job done. Although the upcoming basketball season will likely bring another talented, successful team, his incredible stature sets him apart from his peers. For a squad that desperately needs size, there is no further to look than Sam.

“Working hard and pushing myself have been my points of emphasis with basketball,” he said. “I think that I have a lot to offer.”

No matter the post-tryouts outcome, there is certainly no minimizing Sam’s athletic prowess at FHC. From the football and lacrosse field to the gym hardwood, his eye is constantly dead-set on the prize.

“I’m always looking forward to any challenges,” Sam claimed. “No matter what happens, it’s always ‘next-play up’ and learn from your mistakes.”