Freshman football ends its season on a high note with a victory over East Grand Rapids

With yet another outstanding performance from QB1 Max Holser, the freshmen were able to pull off a final win in their memorable underdog season.

This season for freshman football has left them with a surprising 5-2-1 record, which is more wins than anybody expected. But as the season has progressed, they became more and more dependable, and everyone now knows just how good they are.

The offensive stat line started off with a one-yard quarterback sneak from Max Holser to tie the game 7-7 going into the half, after EGR struck early in the first quarter. That would be the only points on the board for the Rangers in the first half, but an impressive effort in the second half was able to seal the deal.

On defense, it was a mixture of exciting plays and some disappointing moments. Early on in the first quarter, Matthew Geib jumped the pass for an interception, a stat line that hasn’t been seen often this season. Sadly though, before that interception set up for a touchdown, the secondary got blown deep, something that has been very uncharacteristic for the team this year. The deep pass downfield was all EGR needed to go up early, something that wouldn’t last long.

After a tie at halftime, both offense and defense stepped up. Max Holser started the team off, scrambling in for a 20-yard touchdown, breaking off more than five tackles on the way in. After that, a lob from outside the pocket found tight end Seder Middaugh open in the back of the endzone.

On defense, the secondary fixed up its problems from the first half and held EGR to no points in the second half.

“They were able to get open a lot in the first half, but we figured out our coverage issues and fixed them,” cornerback Ty Ryan said.

The freshmen ended up winning their final game of the season against East Grand Rapids 28-7, putting their final record at 5-2-1.

“The season has been a surprise to everyone, and the team has proved a lot of people wrong,” head coach Anthony Sultini said.