JV football dominates Jenison on both sides of the ball in 32-7 win

The JV football team kicked off its season at home with a 32-7 win over the Jenison Wildcats. The sophomore class had yet to play a home game in high school due to the renovation of Ranger stadium. With that being said, the boys were extremely eager to hit the turf in their season and home opener. After an unpredictable, yet successful season last year with a 5-0-1 record, the Rangers picked up exactly where they left off. 

The Rangers dominated on the ground for the entirety of the contest. The first drive of the game resulted in sophomore Mason McDonald beating his opponent to the edge and carrying the ball in for a short touchdown run.  A particular run by sophomore Drew Fortino gained the Rangers over 35 yards whilst breaking multiple tackles. FHC continued to beat down on the Wildcats play after play. At halftime, the Rangers held a commanding lead over Jenison 26-0. 

“The energy was high and we came out flying around,” sophomore Nolan Hartl said. “Mason started us off with a nice touchdown run and we kept pouring it on the whole game.”

The Rangers excelled on both sides of the ball, shutting the Wildcats out in the first half and only allowing for one touchdown to be scored in the second. Jenison ran into a buzz saw when trying to get past the Ranger defensive line. Sophomores J Coe, David Galloway, and Chase Enbody formed as a strong wall for the less fortunate Wildcat offense. 

“We had a very good contribution from guys on the field, but also guys coming off of the field.” head coach Anthoney Sultini stated. “Overall, all three facets of the game performed really well for the first game of the season.”

The Rangers begin the season 1-0 and will face a tough test in the Bobcats of Grand Blanc next week. The across-state matchup will be watched at all three levels of football, with two powerhouse programs taking on each other at the freshman, JV, and varsity levels.