Joe+Murdock

Joe Murdock

It is a sad day for me today. I have dreaded writing this senior farewell letter for months for two main reasons. First, I am already in summer mode and excited to be done with high school, but secondly, this marks the end of my FHC Sports Report career. I vividly remember the day that changed the outlook of my high school career during the end of my freshman year. One of my biggest mentors to this day, Matthew Mahoney, pulled me aside during course registration and gave me his pitch to join the staff of Sports Report. I can confidently say that this interaction changed my life for the better. I want to thank Mahoney for his leadership and all that he has done for the Sports Report during his time on staff. 

Throughout my three years on the staff, we have made incredible progress as a website. We broke off from The Central Trend to create our own website and flourished from there. My favorite events range from the “Ranger Gameday” or pre-game show that we put on before the Grand Blanc football game all the way to the very end where we successfully pulled off the first FHC Sports Report Awards. Activities like this are what made the class so enjoyable. I can say that I have improved immensely as a writer during my time on staff, but everyone who is reading this knows there are surely mistakes made in my articles. I was concerned with my writing abilities coming into this class, but the concept of the class overshadowed it. 

There are many people to thank for my incredible time on staff. First I want to say thank you to Mr. George. You balanced The Central Trend and Sports Report for numerous years and were the pioneer in the journalism programs at Forest Hills Central. Next are all of the editors that I served under including Tommy Spaletto, Matthew Mahoney, Jacob Ervin, Thomas Cobb, Adam Hop, and Tate Greer. The guys listed above have kept the FHC Sports Report afloat for the last three years and I am forever thankful for the time and energy they put in to make the website great. Thomas, thank you for your countless hours of editing and keeping the classroom in check during times of mental breaks. Tate, I have never heard someone say so many intelligent things, and then turn around and have the most random comment come out of your mouth. Adam, the HOPPSTA, you have been on staff for just about as long as I have and your persistent push to improve the website was always appreciated. Mac Boike, I really don’t know what I would do without you man. You have had your ups and downs just as the rest of us, but there is no doubt that you are a great reporter. You have a lot of potential and I wish you all the best in your future journalism career. Love you, Boike. Pierson, I won’t lie, you make some cold takes sometimes, but you are very passionate and will back it all up. Teague, I doubt you will read this, but keep growing the Sports Report. I hope to come home from college next year to hear what you and Philip have done to improve the site. Serena, Riley, and Lucas, it is crystal clear that you love what you do. I wish you all the best to continue the legacy of the FHC Sports Report and I am confident that you will put your heart and soul into the class. I also want to throw in a quick thank you to the new athletic office at FHC: Mr. Goei and Mrs. Swayze. Thank you for quite literally helping our dreams become reality. We would not have been able to put on events such as the awards show without your generosity and eagerness to help us. 

To Mr. Sultini, you are one of the most passionate, caring, kindhearted teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of learning from. You are truly a role model for your students. No matter the circumstances of any individual, you are always there to support or help them in any way possible. This year was made possible by you and that is the truth. You took us in like we were your own. We have made memories and a bond that will last a lifetime. You have helped me mature and prepared me more than ever for life after high school. I cannot wait for the day when we go out for coffee and catch up. I truly am forever grateful for the impact that you have made on my life, and I hope that you know that. Love you, Sultini. 

That about wraps up my final farewell to the FHC Sports Report. I have enjoyed every minute of my time on staff and I am confident that this class has helped to shape me into a better person. Thank you, FHC Sports Report. 

FHC Sports Report • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in