Jonah McConnell’s eight goals lift boys JV lacrosse to a 17-5 victory over Detroit Catholic Central

The boys JV lacrosse team looked to end its season off strong heading into Thursday’s game. They would face the Shamrocks of Detroit Catholic Central, a prominent program out of the state’s east side. From the get-go, the Rangers outmatched the Shamrocks physically and skill-wise. After a few late goals from DCC, the Rangers won by a large margin, 17-5. Sophomores Jonah McConnell and Reese Le had huge games, each scoring at least three goals. 

FHC got off to a fast start, as goals from Jonah and sophomores Jake Koning and Carter Lyons gave them a 3-0 lead by the five-minute mark. The Rangers dominated the offensive side of the ball by winning most, if not all, of the face-offs. Freshman Nolan Hartl took the face-offs in this game, and it seemed as if he won every one of them. They capitalized on the face-offs and scored effortlessly in the first half. Jonah led all scorers with eight goals, Reese had three, and Jake added to the cause with two. Sophomore Dom Schipani and Nolan each had a goal as well. On defense, FHC locked down the Shamoracks attack, which boosted its lead. Sophomore goalie Graham Bennett seemed impossible to score on, only giving up three goals. The defensive core was also led by sophomore Michael Campbell and freshmen Luke VanGorp and Brady Drueke. They mostly kept the offense in front of them, and when DCC got past the defensive line, the help defense laid out some big hits—one hit coming in the fourth quarter by Luke. That same hit fueled a mini altercation and led to multiple penalties on both sides.

The Rangers finish their season with a 10-4 record that includes the following impressive stat: 10-2 versus Michigan teams. The boys finish another great season, dominating most teams in their way. A few players on JV will continue their seasons when they get pulled up to varsity. The amount of talent the JV team annually fields is one reason the varsity team is such a statewide-renowned team.