Varsity softball hits five-game winning streak after doubleheader win versus Kenowa Hills

Heading into the Kenowa Hills game on Thursday, the varsity softball team was riding a three-game winning streak. The team started to find its rhythm, and it showed on the field. In their two games against Kenowa, the girls outplayed the Knights, winning 15-4 and 21-7.  Freshman Lacey Smith and senior Faith Addington starred in the first game, while sophomore Maya Holser and freshman Lea Zainea showed out in the second game.

Game one was a blowout from the start; the girls dominated with their bats and stayed sharp in the field to maintain a big lead. Lacey led the team in hits with 3. She also had 4 RBIs. Freshman Jamison Sturtz and Maya both had 3 RBIs in the game as well. On the mound, Faith pitched efficiently in the resounding win. She pitched all five innings, striking out two batters, and had a WHIP of 2.40. The second game was closer in the first few innings, but the girls eventually got the same result as the first game. FHC dominated at the plate, which led to an easy win. Maya had 4 hits and 4 RBI’s to add to her great performance on the day. Lea also had a game-high 4 hits. Jamison added three hits, senior Abby Davis had 3 RBI’s, and junior Hannah Pruski also had 3 RBIs. Lacey and Faith both pitched in game two and were stalwart forces on the mound. In the two innings Lacey pitched, she threw a strikeout and notched a WHIP of 3.00. Faith came in after to relieve Lacey and pitched four innings. She struck out two batters and achieved a WHIP of 0.92. The team finished the game with an 11 run inning, securing the victory over the Knights.

After the two commanding victories over the Knights, the Rangers improve to 11-11 on the season with a conference record of 9-3. The girls look to continue this new five-game winning streak when they host  Zeeland West on Friday, May 14.