Girls JV softball picks up two more wins against the Lowell Red Arrows in two close fought games

Last night, the JV girls softball team took on the Lowell Red Arrows in an OK White Conference matchup. The Rangers went on to beat Lowell in both games with several stand-out performances from their underclassmen. 

In their first game, sophomore Lauren Halverson pitched for the Rangers. Against Lowell’s impressive hitters, she was able to get seven strikeouts along with giving up twelve hits. The Rangers also struggled in the batter’s box for the night and only compiled three hits total as a team. Lauren went one-for-three with two runs, along with freshman Anna Thomberg and junior Lyra Vandenburg, who also hit one-for-two. Despite the Ranger’s struggles at the plate, they still defeated the Red Arrows by a score of 15-5 in five innings. 

The second game of the night proved to be a lot closer than the first, as the Rangers went on to win by a small margin of 7-6. Sophomore Charlotte Stephen pitched this game and tallied five strikeouts and only gave up five hits. Lauren and Charlotte both had major plays on offense; both hit a triple and a couple of RBIs. Along with them, freshman Molly Gorney went one-for-three at the plate and drove in two runs with her only hit. The game ultimately came down to the bottom of the seventh inning in which the Rangers were able to put the game away thanks to a winning run. The team had a phenomenal game on the defensive side and executed several nice bunts to secure the win. 

After these two wins, the Rangers now sit with a record of 7-1. They will take on Lowell again this Wednesday, April 21, on FHC’s home field. The games will commence at 4:15 pm and will be another doubleheader.