JV softball falls to South Christian Sailors in doubleheader by close margins

The JV softball team headed out to South Christian High School on Friday, April 23, to take on the Sailors in a doubleheader matchup. Coming off two losses against the Lowell Red Arrows, the Rangers were not able to turn their losing streak around and went on to lose two close contests to the Sailors.

In the first game, the Rangers’ inability to hit significantly hurt their chances at victory. The Rangers hit six times but suffered twelve strikeouts throughout the game. However, the opposing Sailors had seven hits and zero errors on the night, leading to their 7-3 victory. Freshman Eliana Amenta was a big help on the Rangers offensive side, going two-for-four at the plate. Alongside her was sophomore Riley Koehler, who went one-for-two in the batter’s box, giving the FHC its three runs. 

After their tough loss in the first game, the Rangers were able to keep the margin much tighter in the second contest, finishing with a score of 6-5. The Sailors picked up eight hits for the game, only beating the Rangers by two. Unlike the first game, FHC hit at a much higher level and secured six hits. Once again, Riley was a key batter for FHC, going two-for-four at the plate. Freshman Molly Gorney also came in clutch to pinch-hit for the Rangers and had a stellar performance.

With these two losses behind them, the girls maintain a 7-5 overall record. Their next games will be played this Monday, April 26, on the FHC’s home field. They will take on the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles in another double-header, and this OK White Conference matchup will begin at 4:15 PM.