It’s time for divisional round madness in the NFL

Its time for divisional round madness in the NFL

This weekend, the NFL divisional round playoffs were played, and although all of the outcomes were expected in my book, there were still some wild finishes.

The first game on Saturday featured quite a phenomenal story in the Houston Texans and the stellar Ravens, who have been red hot all season. Let’s just say the Texans ran out of luck, and it’s not even likeĀ  Stroud or the offense played badly, but Ravens’ defense was way too much for the Texans’ offense. They held them to 10 points, and then the Texans’ defense got picked apart for 34 points at the hands of who should win the MVP; Lamar Jackson had the absolute game of his life. I feel bad for whatever defense has to face this man in the AFC championship. He is so lethal. Lamar finished with 152 yards and two touchdowns through the air, but he also ran for 100 yards and had two rushing touchdowns, and the Ravens came out on top 34-10. Lamar handily carried the Ravens, along with their amazing defense, to the AFC championship. After watching this game, I just don’t see the Ravens being able to lose; they just look too strong and lethal. If you look across the roster, there aren’t very many holes anywhere, and they continue to get better every week.

The second matchup of the weekend was the Forty-Niners against the Green Bay Packers. First off, I don’t think many people thought the Packers would be here in the first place. After last week’s performance, everyone knew this was gonna be a battle. The Packers looked like, for most of the game, they had an answer for every push the Niners made, and they always seemed to be one step ahead. But then again, you never count the Niners out. That last drive for Purdy, who finished with 252 yards and a touchdown, was sensational. It was also very promising for the Niners to see guys like McCaffrey and Kittle help propel the offense, even in the absence of Deebo, who went out early in the game. McCaffrey finished with 98 yards and two touchdowns on the day, and Little had 81 yards and a touchdown. Also, the defense came away with two crucial interceptions. So although, again, it didn’t look promising at times for the Niners, they stepped up when it mattered and got big plays out of their playmakers to ultimately win this game 24-21. But then again, the Packers had a phenomenal and very promising season from Jorodn Love and their young wide receiver core, and I would expect the Packers to be back next season for sure.

Now, jumping to the first game on Sunday, the Detroit Lions were looking to make even more history by defeating the Buccaneers for a place in the NFC championship game. The game was definitely a lot closer than it needed to be. I thought the Lions would steamroll the Bucs, but of course, Baker Mayfield continued to dial up for the playoffs. Baker went for 349 and three touchdowns, although having two picks; one was the most acrobatic picks I’ve ever seen to seal the game. But that’s not the point. Baker played almost out of his mind; the Lion’s defense stood tall. It left a lot of hope for that deep Lions offense who had a day. Goff went for 287 yards and two touchdowns, and they had consistent play from all their weapons as well. Laporta, Amon-Ra, Gibbs, and Montgomery all played very solid to help propel the Lions to the NFC championship with a score of 31-23. The Lions definitely have a shot at making the Super Bowl. I felt like at times they looked lackluster and were all over the map. But who knows? With the Lions, sometimes they play like they are the greatest team in history. We shall see. Also, you have to mention the Bucs being here. They turned it on and played the best when it mattered, just like the Packers and Texans. They were all phenomenal playoff stories.

In the last game in the divisional round, the Chiefs played the Bills, and we all know how that has gone in the past for the Bills. And history was going to repeat itself once again. The Chiefs came to play, and Mahomes had 215 yards and two touchdowns; Mahomes in the playoffs is just a different breed. Also, that defense has been playing better week by week, and when you don’t have Kelce, Toney, and the other wide receivers dropping passes on a regular, you can move the ball downfield and score. But to the Bills’ side, Allen didn’t even play badly at all. Allen had 186 yards and one touchdown, but the problem was a couple of dropped passes or miscues on routes that could’ve been touchdowns. But also the unfortunate missed kick, yes, that did result in the Bills losing, but a team of that caliber shouldn’t have to rely on a kicker to win. The Bills, in my opinion, just seemed to fossil out down the stretch, and the Chiefs took over to win 27-24. I honestly think the AFC championship could go any way. In my opinion, it will come down to which quarterback can produce and make the most happen and which QB can limit the turnovers.