My Fantasy Football draft recap

My Fantasy Football draft recap

With the fantasy football regular season coming to an end, it’s time to look back at my team in a twelve-man league that did not meet my standards whatsoever. Let’s just say it was not a stellar performance at all the whole year, as my team fell through the cracks very early on, and some very questionable trades to save my team did the exact opposite.

My first overall pick at the number two spot was Ja’Marr Chase. I was looking to see him start off hot, but he did the exact opposite. He started very cold, but in the end, he finished as the sixth-highest wide receiver. He panned out to be a very solid wide receiver despite the quarterback injuries his team has faced and the injuries he has faced as well.

In the second round, I took Jaylen Waddle as the 23rd overall pick. Waddle had a very up-and-down year but was definitely not a second pick at all. I was projecting a lot, especially with how high-powered their offense was. I was expecting him to get the ball more, but he just turned out to be very mediocre. This year, he finished 19th among wide receivers in fantasy football rankings. Again, he is not worth the second overall pick, as oftentimes, the second round is the most crucial pick.

With my third-round selection, the number 26th pick, I took Aaron Jones, who I thought would pan out well but was brought down with multiple injuries, which was a common theme among my fantasy team this year. But despite that, when he was in, he was a very solid and useable running back two, but the injuries just tanked his draft stalk. He finished 43rd ranked among running backs again, spending over half the season injured with multiple knee injuries.

The fourth-round pick just keeps getting worse at the number 47th pick. I drafted my quarterback, Deshaun Watson, which panned out to be a terrible selection when he was in. He played terribly and couldn’t ever do anything productive, and then he had a season-ending injury. It was the biggest waste of a fourth-round pick of all time. It frustrates me so much that he struggled that badly. He finished 32nd in total quarterback fantasy football rankings this regular season. This is the worst part of my draft.

At the fifth-round pick, which was pick number 50, I snagged Darren Waller, who was a very good pick until he went on IR for four weeks. This ruined me. He was doing very well and was produced as a top-three tight end, and then he got hurt. It was awful because he was my favorite pick of the year, and at this point, my team was just absolutely destroyed because of all of the injuries. But this year, he finished 23rd among tight ends and was a top tight end prior to the injury, but that drastically hurt him.

Then, in round six–it goes south quickly—although it already seems like it has. I was completely lost on who to pick. Everyone I wanted was already gone, so I jumped on Cam Akers at the 71 overall pick, which just panned out to be terrible because of once again a season-ending injury and absolutely no playing time in Las Angeles, but the bigger part is, it was another injury. He was just terrible to begin with, but he just turned into a waste of space when he got injured. This had to be my most unproud pick of the draft, without a doubt. He also finished below the top 60 in running backs in fantasy, which is so terrible.

In the seventh round, I drafted Drake London, which was not a terrible pick. I mean, he finished 38th among wide receivers in total points. But he just didn’t get the rates at all. He is such a good deep-threat wide receiver, but the Flacons coaching staff uses London wrongly and unfairly. He had much-wasted potential, and it hurt my team. I still don’t dislike the draft pick, but it definitely could’ve been better by a long shot.

After this, it got messy due to my panic about all my remaining picks. In the eighth round, I drafted Courtland Sutton, who didn’t start to shine till about three weeks ago, which I consider a wasted draft pick. He finished 21st among wide receivers, which isn’t terrible, but he accumulated about 75% of his points in the last 3-4 weeks. Until then, he was a terrible pick, but yes, I am happy he came through, but he did at the worst time. I was not too happy about this pick, either.

The next picks all panned out to be absolutely horrible. In the ninth round, I picked up Jaxon Smith-Njigba. He was not the best the whole year, finished out of the top 50 as well in wide receivers, and barely produced at all. He caught barely any touchdowns and was only targeted at most five times a game. He did not meet my expectations at all.

Then, in the tenth round, I drafted Jerick Mckinnon, thinking he would lead the Chief’s backfield, but he is now just the third-string running back after being demoted after week one. He was one of the worst-ranked running backs this year, well outside the top 50, and it wasn’t even close. This pick also frustrated me so much because I thought he would be good, but it was quite the opposite.

In the eleventh round, I drafted Zach Ertz, and that was awful because once again injured the whole year, which again hurt my team so badly this year. Then, when he came back, Trey Mcbride was playing insane, so Ertz was released and did absolutely nothing because he is a free agent. He was actually among the worst of the tight ends this year because he scored zero total fantasy points, absolutely a waste of a pick. This one also made me so mad.

With the twelfth, I took Russell Wilson. He was so average at best. He was in the top 20 for quarterbacks, which is decent, but he didn’t start playing well till the end of the year. So once again, I never needed him, really, and I think I dropped him because he was playing so badly. This was an absolute waste of pick, considering I never even used him once.

Then I took Elijah Moore in the thirteenth round, and he panned out to be Brown’s third to fourth-string target. He was also well outside the top thirty in wide receivers and did nothing that would pose a threat this year in fantasy. He never came off of my bench. He sat there all year because he was horrendous and did absolutely nothing. Once again, he was a waste of a pick.

With my last pick excluding my defense and kicker, because nobody cares about those, I drafted Damien Harris in the fourteenth round. He also finished outside the top fifty in running backs, scoring a whopping total of 19.0 points, proving to be once again an absolute waste of a pick. I dropped him after week five because I had never even used him once.

So, after going through and picking my worst fantasy team this year, I finished 3-10. This team just panned out to be nothing like I intended. It either all busted, or everyone got hurt. I also felt like through this whole draft, I was never able to get who I wanted, so I was stuck with the third and fourth choices every round. This draft makes me so frustrated even to go back and look at it because it was genuinely so terrible. But next year, I will be taking notes on this draft and will be staying away from 90% of these guys after they all busted for me this year and made me lose.