Girls JV basketball picks up big non-conference win against the Thornapple Kellogg Trojans

Last Friday, the girls JV basketball team went out to Thornapple Kellogg High School to take on the Trojans in their first and only non-conference game of the season. The Rangers dominated them on both sides of the floor despite several missing players, and they came out with a 36-28 victory. 

The Trojans came out strong in the first quarter with the Rangers struggling to score. However, the combination of clutch rebounding from sophomore Maya Holser and lockdown defense from freshman Maggie Kelderman gave the Rangers a boost of energy as the Rangers started to slowly pull away with the lead. The same rhythm seemed to follow into the second half, as freshman Zenash Cummings found her way to the basket several times on momentum-changing fast break layups. Scoring four of her eight points to increase the team’s advantage to a sustainable eight points, Zenash led the charge, contributing to the Rangers successful late push in the fourth quarter. Maya was a tremendous help on the offensive side of the floor as well, securing half of the Rangers 36 points and making this one of her highest-scoring games of the season with 18 points. Sophomore Frankie Sutton also had an impact on the game with five points and several assists to Maya from the point guard position. Freshman Claire Marvin was the only other Ranger to score, finishing with four points in the third quarter. 

With this game being a non-conference matchup, this sizeable win does not affect how the Rangers will place within the OK White Conference; however, it did bump their overall record to a solid 4-7.