Boys freshman basketball wins heated rivalry game over FHN 63-30

Forest Hills Central against Forest Hills Northern is arguably one of the biggest rivalries in West Michigan.

After a dominant win against FHN earlier in the season, the Rangers looked to win consecutive games against the Huskies. FHC was on the hunt to repeat the result from a few weeks ago when they won 70-29.

As fate would have it, the Rangers ended up winning 63-30. Some impactful players in this game were freshmen JT Hartman and J Coe. JT had a game high with 14 points, and J added 12 points and dominated the glass. The start of the game was exactly how the team expected to start it, as they went on a 10-0 run and forced the Northern coaching staff to spend an early timeout. Northern went on a small run, and by the end of the quarter, FHC was leading 19-11.

In the second quarter, the Rangers got a huge lift from JT; he scored eight out of his 16 points in the second quarter. Freshman Mason McDonald also had an impressive quarter, notching five points and showing his dominance on the glass. Towards the end of the quarter, things heated up. FHC was in the middle of a run and Northern finally found a bucket with an and-one finish. As tension began to rise and as emotions started to flare up, an FHN player got fired up and started chirping the FHC players. This only fueled FHC though, as the Rangers went on a huge run in the third quarter. As the third quarter finished up, FHC led 56-27. The Rangers slowed the game down, and at the end of the game, FHC found itself with a 63-30 victory. 

After a rivalry win, FHC improves to 10-0 with a 3-0 conference record. Due to some cancellations, the team’s next game is slated for Saturday against the Wyoming Wolves. Wyoming proves to be another unfamiliar foe for the Rangers, so they should bring a ton of intensity into that game.