The home for coverage of all FHC athletics

Q and A with varsity golfer, junior Quinn Breslin

Name: Quinn Breslin 

Sport: Girls varsity golf 

Grade: Junior 

How long have you been playing golf?

“I have been playing golf (competitively) for two years (since freshman year), but have been informally taking lessons off and on for a couple of years prior.” 

What other sports do you play at FHC? 

“Actually, my number one sport is tennis. I am a captain of the girls varsity tennis team and currently play two singles. Our team made it to states this past spring (2023 season) and finished second in the state for our division.”

What is your best memory from your time playing?

“One of the best memories from playing on the varsity golf team was during the first day of the Crystal Mountain Tournament. I was warming up at the range and was topping and chunking every ball. I started stressing out because I didn’t know why I wasn’t able to hit a good shot, and I didn’t have time to correct or change anything because we were going to head to our starting holes shortly. I told myself I was going to be okay and it was important to have fun. What I thought was going to be one of the worst rounds of golf in my life actually turned out to be one of my best. On the first hole, I chipped in for birdie and then continued to play well the rest of the day and the next. I learned that warm-ups are literally for warming up and not indicative of your performance.” 

What are the strengths of this year’s team? 

“The strength of this year’s team is experience. We essentially have the same team as we had last year, but everyone is one year older. Our top-end Skyler Tierney, who plays number one, is starting her senior year scoring lower than she ever has before. She has worked hard these past four years, and it’s really paying off. We also have a couple of younger players who are naturally pretty good golfers, like Caroline VanderVelde, who is going to push some of our more experienced players to be even better.”

What are your individual goals for this year’s season? 

“Golf is a weird sport; the minute you set an individual goal, such as a score or number you want to hit, it seems to work backward. Therefore, my simple goal is to finish stronger at the end of the year than how I started. If the whole team can do that, it is likely we will go to States. However, If I had to choose an individual goal, it would be to improve my putting.”

Who is the biggest influence in your athletic career and why?

“I am influenced by many important people in my life. My sister is first-team all-state in golf and tennis, my grandfather played basketball for Michigan State, several uncles played football for Michigan State, my great-grandfather played on the PGA tour, my other great-grandfather was drafted to the NFL, two of my cousins, one being around my age, have committed to play baseball at the University of Michigan, the other being their current pitcher, and my dad who was a collegiate athlete. They have all influenced and pushed me to want to be successful and do great things with my athletic career.”

Who is your favorite professional athlete and why?

“My favorite professional athlete changes every so often. It was Michelle Wie for a while, then Serena Williams, but I just recently watched Coco Gauff win the US Open at the age of 19, which is very inspiring to a young and ambitious tennis player like myself. Michelle Wie and Serena Williams will always be an inspiration to me, but my favorite professional athlete at the moment would have to be Coco Gauff. I like the way she plays the game of tennis and presents herself with so much class and dignity.”

What is your favorite class this year and why?

“The question of my favorite class is hard to answer at the start of the first semester because I am currently taking four AP classes, and none of them are really that enjoyable. However, if I had to pick one, it would probably be AP computer science. I can see myself continuing the study of computer science in the future.”