Goodbye FHC

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Keyan Roelfzema
    May 3, 2023
    Gibson Wierenga
    May 3, 2023
    Adam Piotrowski
    May 2, 2023
    Goodbye+FHC

A senior farewell is something I was never prepared to write. I have spent the past four years experiencing the ups and downs of high school and trying to live life to its fullest while denying the fact that it would all be over in such a short time. I never believed that four years would fly by, but I am proud to say the memories and friendships I have made will follow me through the rest of my life.

Freshman and sophomore years are a complete blur to me. The rise of COVID-19 stole so much from all of the seniors, and I never thought I would care about missing out on them until now. As much as I hate the game sometimes, the thought of missing my first high school softball season is now hitting me harder than ever. I only have a short amount of time left on the field before it is done and over with forever. I will never be stepping on the field with that same group of girls ever again, and I will hold on to the memories for as long as possible. To my teammates and coaches for the past three years, thank you for making the sport enjoyable and sticking with me even through my injuries.

Liz, you have such a kind and funny soul. You have brightened some of my hardest days in both first hour and out on the field. The energy you bring to the team is quiet but impactful, and I have loved being right by your side throughout the past three years. It has been amazing watching your confidence grow this year and seeing how much your hard work has paid off, I know you will do amazing things in the future.

Maya, thank you for being such a kind and positive person. I am so glad we were able to reconnect these past few years and bring back the friendship we had previously had in elementary school. You were one of my first teammates in the sport during the YMCA days, and you are one of the reasons I continue to stick around. Thank you for being an amazing co-captain and for leading the team in ways that Lauren and I are unable to.

Lauren, you are one of my toughest goodbyes. Thank you for being my #1 cheerleader and go-to person on the team. You are one of the most supportive people I know. I am so glad that we have become so close, and I am proud to call you one of my best friends. Your energy on the field helps bring the whole team together, and your talent and consistency have skyrocketed since sophomore year. Thank you for being my second half and the best throwing partner there is. I am going to miss you bunches, but I am glad we will be neighbors down in Ohio.

The only other sport that I stuck with throughout all of these years was gymnastics. The decision to switch from club to high school was difficult, but it needed to be done. Looking back, it was one of the best decisions I have made. My memories of my first two years have blended together, and I don’t remember much. My senior year stood out, and I was the happiest I have been in the sport in years. Gaining a new coaching staff was a weird adjustment, but I benefited from it in every way possible.

Jordan and Marie, thank you for stepping in and becoming some of the best coaches I have had throughout my gymnastics career. You taught me leadership, kindness, perseverance, and strength both physically and mentally. I appreciate all of the time you put into the team and all of the encouragement you gave me to strive to get better every day. Although my season had an unexpected ending, thank you for continuing to be there for me every step of the way.

Megan, I know your senior season did not go the way you had wanted, but I want you to know how proud I am of the fact that you continued to come to practice and show up. You did an amazing job cheering everyone on and helping the newer girls learn the sport.

Allison, your bubbly personality gave me energy even on my lowest days, and I am so grateful to be able to call you my teammate. It has been incredible being able to watch you improve the last three years. I am so proud of how far you have come. I loved watching you gain confidence during your routines at our meets and during practice while you tried new skills. Thank you for being you.

Maddy, your improvement has blown me away. While you aren’t the loudest person vocally, your actions have proven how lucky FHG was to have you as a member. Your dedication to the sport and fearless mindset took you so much further this year than ever before. Thank you for being such a hard worker every day in the gym and for being one of the sweetest people I know.

Payton, thank you for keeping it real every day. You never fail to make me laugh, and I love how you are never afraid to speak your mind. I know you didn’t end your career at your peak, but you still showed up and did what you needed to get done. Your somewhat careless attitude brought something special to the team that nobody else could bring, and it helped provide relief during difficult times. 

Lauren, thank you for being one of my best friends. Your goofy personality mixed with gymnastics is something that nobody could prepare themselves for. You have come up with some of the weirdest skill combinations but are always able to pull them off like no other. Thank you for showing up every day and being there even when times were tough. I am going to miss you more than you will ever know.

Abby, thank you for being the best co-captain ever. Your dedication to this sport and team was amazing, and I am so happy that we have become so much closer. We worked together seamlessly, and I am incredibly thankful for everything that we accomplished this year. I know your season didn’t go exactly as planned either, but I am so proud of you for making your comeback at the end of the year and qualifying for states. You are one of my toughest goodbyes, but I know you will do great things.

Our last day of school has already passed, and the end of sporting events is on its way. As underclassmen read these thank-you notes to my fellow seniors, I want you to cherish the time you have now. Go put in the extra effort during your practices and go into them with an open mind. I know that the schedules are jam-packed and you don’t get a break, but live each day to its fullest. Hug your teammates, say thank you to your coaches and officials, and put in every ounce of effort during games and practices because you never truly know when your last day will come. Appreciate the time you have left with the people you love, and don’t forget to have fun. 

Thank you FHC,

Charlotte Stephan signing out