Girls JV basketball sweeps past the Greenville Yellow Jackets in their 47-17 victory

On Friday, the girls JV basketball team took on the Greenville Yellow Jackets in their fourth OK White conference match-up of the season. Coming out strong in the first half, the Rangers continued to dominate, ultimately winning with a score of 47-17. 

The first quarter started off relatively slow for the Rangers, as they picked up only six points to the Yellow Jackets two. Sophomore Maya Holser had three of these six points, and freshman Maggie Sneider had the other three, with each of them getting a layup and a free throw. The second quarter is where the Rangers really took off with the lead. Heading into halftime, the score was now 20-6 after the Rangers went on a twelve-point run. Maggie was the leading scorer for this quarter with six points, followed closely by Maya who had four. Freshman Claire Marvin and sophomore Frankie Sutton also contributed with two points each.

As the third quarter began, the Rangers still maintained their lead but the Yellow Jackets were starting to get to the basket more. Maya and Maggie were the only two Rangers to score in this quarter combining for ten points. As the buzzer rang to end the third, the Rangers still held a healthy lead with a score of 30-13. The Rangers really took off in the fourth quarter and had many players contributing in all aspects of the game. Freshman Maggie Kelderman put up her first two points of the night for the Rangers, as well as freshman Zenash Cummings who secured her first few points of the game. Maya had another big quarter with eight more points, and Maggie also contributed with a few more baskets. 

With their second win in a row, the girls now sit with an overall record of 2-2. They will be taking on the Byron Center Bulldogs this Tuesday, February 23. The game will be played on the Rangers home court and will commence at 5:30 pm. With a full, healthy roster back for the second week in a row, the team has high hopes for another successful week.