Boys swim and dive adds another win to their record

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Goodbye FHC
May 31, 2023
Keyan Roelfzema
May 3, 2023
Gibson Wierenga
May 3, 2023

Last night the boys swim and dive team faced off in a tri-meet against Caledonia and Grand Rapids Catholic Central in arguably their best meet so far this season.

The meet began with the 200-yard medley relay where one lane of Rangers placed first with a time of 1:46.85, directly followed by the second lane of Rangers who took second with a time of 2:00.60. The relay teams continued to have an incredible night as the 200-yard free relay team made up of sophomore Zach Ruffer, juniors Reed Dixon and Dylan Pomeroy, and senior Gavin Cai took first place in an extremely tight race with a final time of 1:44.54, only beating the second place finisher by 0.01 seconds. To finish the relays off, sophomores Logan Tiggleman and Sam Grant along with Dylan Pomeroy and Reed Dixon took first place in the 400-yard free relay where they ended with a time of 3:52.01.

“I am really proud of how the boys were able to step up and compete,” Gavin said. “We have had a couple of tough weeks of practices and it was our first home meet of the season so it was really nice to walk away with a win.”

The individual races began, and the Rangers weren’t messing around. Reed Dixon took first place in the 200-yard free with a time of 1:53.51 followed by Dylan Pomeroy who ended with a time of 2:05.08. The 200-yard individual medley was an exciting race for the boys as they claimed the first four places. Senior Isaac Stewart took first place with a time of 2:13.03, Gavin Cai followed with a time of 2:14.90, claiming third was Zach Ruffer finishing with a time of 2:31.87, and to complete the streak was freshman Ian Tyrell who ended with a solid time of 2:33.10.

Sophomore Nolan Breckon made his name known last night after completing the brutal 500-yard free and taking first place with a time of 5:49.86 and taking third place in the 50-yard free with a final time of 25.05. Similarly, junior Jayden Doyel has been moving his way up the podium where he placed fourth in the 100-yard back ending with a time of 1:18.13, and fifth place in the 100-yard fly with a final time of 1:12.01.

“We have some tough meets coming up soon with Northview and EGR around the corner,” Gavin said. “ Next week is our first conference meet where winning matters so I am looking forward to some really competitive swimming.”

The boys hope to continue their winning streak as they face off against Northview on Tuesday, January 17, at 6:00 pm at the Forest Hills Aquatic Center.