The girls JV basketball team prepares to slam-dunk the start of the season

As we head into the cold winter months here at Forest Hills Central, we are re-introduced to many sports that make a big name for our school, one of them being basketball. 

This year, the girls JV basketball team comprises seven freshmen and six sophomores, some returning from last year’s season, and some starting out fresh. With that being said, it is all about using teamwork during these crucial first weeks to create a bond with your teammates that will help bring in wins. 

Sophomore Gabby Thompson anticipates a great upcoming season and she is excited to see all that it will bring for the team.

“I’m looking forward to working with our new coaches and program. I cannot wait to play with these girls who have a love for the sport,” she said. “The coaches have bonded with us and have already started pushing us to be the best. We have already made quite the improvement from last season and I have high hopes and expectations for this year.” 

The team is scheduled to play twenty-two games. The season started on Friday, December 2, with a great win over Allendale High School and will end with a game played against East Grand Rapids High School on February 23, along with any games that may surpass that time frame. 

Sophomore Ellyana Teliczan agrees with Gabby in the fact that it’s going to be a season to remember for the team and for herself.

“I’m looking forward to getting better and seeing our hard work pay off from practice. I’m excited to see how it helps us win games and build relationships, especially with the incoming freshman,” she shared. “I feel that the season will go well. We won our first game so I feel that if we continue to play that way, we will be successful.” 

These Lady Rangers have already put in so much work in the first weeks, so we as a school are excited to see where they end up.