Girls swim and dive takes on the rest of the OK White at conference meet

Charlotte Stephan

More stories from Charlotte Stephan

Goodbye FHC
May 31, 2023
Keyan Roelfzema
May 3, 2023
Gibson Wierenga
May 3, 2023

The girls swim and dive team took on their biggest meet of the season this past weekend. The OK White conference is stacked with many talented teams so this was a chance for the lady Rangers to show what they had at their conference meet. Although the team wasn’t able to move on as a whole, many individuals qualified for regionals to represent FHC.

The diving team had an outstanding performance. Four of the five girls that competed all placed in the top twenty-five. Junior Jia Niemeyer took twenty-first in an extremely close match-up with a score of 178.75 as junior Lily Zorn grabbed twentieth with a score of 178.80. Junior Rachael Yeager led the Rangers with her seventh-place finish, where she earned a score of 236.25 and was able to secure herself a spot at the regional competition.

“It was definitely a very long two days and our conference has a large number of good divers so that was a little intimidating, but I was grateful to be able to finish in the top eight,” Rachael said. “I’m hoping to improve on my current dive list going into regionals on Thursday and work on polishing up my voluntary dives.”

The lady Rangers continued to stay strong through the individual races. Three girls were able to secure themselves qualifying scores and they will be swimming in multiple events at regionals. Freshman Maggie Holt was able to secure her place in the 100-yard backstroke. She finished with an outstanding time of 1:01.76 and took fourth. Freshman Allison Meny came out strong in the 200-yard free where she snagged fourth place with a time of 1:58.79. Finally, senior Sydney VanLente had a strong run this weekend. She placed fourth in the 100-yard fly with a time of 1:00.37 and fifth in the 200-yard free with a time of 1:59.04.

The relay teams closed the meet off leading two of the FHC relays to advance to regionals. The 200-yard free relay team made up of freshman Mady Scarlato, junior Ashley Schenck, Sydney, and Allison was able to take an incredible third place with a time of 1:45.63 and earning themselves a state cut. Ashley, Allison, Maggie, and Sydney were all also able to take their 400-free relay team to regionals after they earned fourth with a time of 3:49.02.

“I had a positive experience at regionals, it was very lovely and fun,” Ashley said. “The season is wrapping up and we will do some final work to improve on sprints and turns but I am excited.”

The girls will continue to train for their regional meet which will be this Thursday at Jenison High School.